Existing Member?

Paige's

market day

KENYA | Wednesday, 3 November 2010 | Views [215] | Comments [1]

 went to the open market-machakos is very busy on market day-there are people walking in along the roads to do their shopping.  markets are on mondays and fridays. produce is brought in on the lories from out of the town including sugar cane, sisel for baskets and ropes and tea.  The traffic is crazy.  

it is mostly women running the shops in the market.  they work very hard and carry almost everything on their backs-some from long distances.  i watched this old woman cut up long reeds of sugar cane with this giant knife and she has yet to lose a finger :)  i also watched the women shred up sisel for ropes.  it is plant around here and they have to break it open and then comb it like wool to make the fibers that are weaved into baskets and rope.  it is very hard work.

afterwards, beth and i went to the home community center.  it is truly a diamond in the rough. they have a nursery school and a pre-k to help prepare the children for primary school.  the children were so excited to see me-this tall white woman-must have looked like a giant to them.  they sang for me and were so excited to speak to me in english.  i will report more on the community later.  also visiting the hospital this evening.

Comments

1

Went to Kenya this summer and fell in love. The feel of their local communities really is fantastic and the scenery is second to none. I will never forget the sensation when one of the children at a school I worked at told me he had never seen a white man before. What are your plans for the rest of the trip, and how long are you staying?

  Oli Dugmore Nov 3, 2010 1:38 AM

About paigejohnson


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.