Existing Member?

Paige's

Arrived machakos

KENYA | Wednesday, 3 November 2010 | Views [209]

Arrived Machakos on 10/31 after an interesting journey through the out-skirts of nairobi.  The marathon was going on while i was leaving, so our driver had to take a detour through the industrial area to get back to the Mombassa highway.  Got stuck once in a huge, wet rut but some nice people pulled us out. I think my hosts might have been a little worried of what i may be thinking but, that didn't compare to wading through the river outside of La Ceiba in chest deep water-for those of you who remember that fun.  

Saw many people on the outskirts of life.  it is hardly existing.  homes next to rotting trash and sewage but yet the women were in their sunday best going to and from church.  the rst of the trip was uneventful.  many little towns along the way and shanties outside of them with the masai herding their cows and goats in between.

The mombassa train bipasses this area so there is little industry in this area. About 3 cement factories and a meat locker on the way.  most people rely on farming and livestock to survive.

i had the pleasure of meeting joseph's mother and her sister.  They were so lovely to me and insisted that i visit her home.  She wanted to show me her 200 chicks and the "kansas cow" that she keeps at her farm.  her home is on the outskirts of machakos, off the main road.  the weather is cool now and they are waiting for the rains. 

mamma has 200 chicks from the project and they are about a week old.  At 6 weeks she will be able to sell them.  At one week they are already triple their birth size.  She has a very nice coop and they have plenty of room to move around.  The cow looks lovely and mamma believes she is pregnant again.

Will be going to work tomorrow at the center after shopping in the market Monday am.

About paigejohnson


Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.