Existing Member?

Galah-travels We live in Central Australia and are travelling around India and Nepal. Please only post general comments - do not include names or contact details of other people.

Choki Dhani dinner and dance

INDIA | Thursday, 2 August 2007 | Views [6054]

Romantic feeding time

Romantic feeding time

On Friday night we caught an auto-rickshaw to Choki Dhani on the edge of Jaipur - 300IRs for the driver to take us out there, wait about 3 hours and take us back into town. Choki Dhani is a Rajasthani "tourist village". It gives an experience of Rajasthani traditional life and culture in a self-contained "village". Lots of Indian tourists come here - I guess you can see Rajasthani culture quickly by just coming to Jaipur and visiting Choki Dhani. It saves all the bother of going way out west into the real villages:-) The entry is 250IRs and includes a Rajasthani-style thali meal.

Various acts are going on all around the complex - dancing, puppets, magician, pipe-smoking, side-show alley... There are elephant, camel and ox-cart rides available (you pay extra for these). It's a lot like going to a country show, you wander about looking at stuff! If you don't want to be dragged up on stage to dance with the acts then hide well back in the crowd.

This is a good thing to do for an evening in Jaipur. It is open from 6:15 to 11:00pm. It is 20km out of town, I'm sure you can get the bus out there and back, but the auto-ricksaw was convenient and not too expensive.

Tags: Culture

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.