Existing Member?

Galah-travels We live in Central Australia and are travelling around India and Nepal. Please only post general comments - do not include names or contact details of other people.

Agra Agro

INDIA | Wednesday, 1 August 2007 | Views [1216] | Comments [1]

Methane-producing ride-on lawnmower. Pollution has been a problem around the Taj and polluting vehicles are banned from the area. Should these be banned also? ;-)

Methane-producing ride-on lawnmower. Pollution has been a problem around the Taj and polluting vehicles are banned from the area. Should these be banned also? ;-)

So this is the place you have to go to sometime on a trip to India. We put it off until the end. The buildings are actually impressive, but beware - some of the tourist touts are very sticky. They don't take "no thank you" for an answer. The worst place is Fatehpur Sikri - be ready to be really tough if you head out there.

The entry tickets at the Taj are deceiving. The ticket indicates that you get entry to the other main attractions on the same day, except for the "A.S.I." (whatever that stands for). When you get to Fatehpur-Sikri you discover that the "A.S.I." is 250IRs and the ticket part is only 10IRs. So you still have to pay 250IRs of the normal 260IRs. A similar situation happens at Agra Fort - "A.S.I." is 250IRs and the ticket is 50IRs for a total of 300IRs. You still have to pay 250IRs.

Indians pay only 20IRs to get into the fort, foreigners pay 300IRs. The same differential happens all over Agra. It is a shame I don't look Indian - all you ethnic Indian doctors with Aussie citizenship should still be able to get the cheap price. Even the bus conductors "take us for a ride" - we were charged 40IRs one way today, then only 30IRs on the way back, after waiting a long time before Jenny asked for some change for a 50IRs.

We did actually meet one very nice guy in a shop making and selling inlaid marble - he didn't want to pressure anyone and just waited for people to come into his shop. This is the way we like to do our souvenir shopping! Mughal Gems, near the Taj south gate is the place to go.

The photos tell the story of the attractions - Agra Fort, "baby Taj", Taj Mahal, Fatehpur Sikri and Akbar's Tomb at Sikandra. Tomorrow it's off to Jaipur to see another fort and palace.

Tags: Sightseeing

 

Comments

1

Hi there

When are you coming home and will you be in Sydney on the way through?

Love,

Cathy

  Catherine Davis Aug 2, 2007 12:42 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.