Existing Member?

Galah-travels We live in Central Australia and are travelling around India and Nepal. Please only post general comments - do not include names or contact details of other people.

Mumbai culture shock

INDIA | Thursday, 5 April 2007 | Views [3861] | Comments [3]

Jenny and friends at Elephanta Island, Mumbai

Jenny and friends at Elephanta Island, Mumbai

We arrived at Mumbai International Airport on Wednesday night, straight into the sea of taxis and other vehicles - an instant immersion into the traffic. The intersections work just like you have heard: traffic lights flash orange all the time and everyone just squeezes around each other. Usually there are 3 lanes marked on the road but 4 or 5 lanes of traffic.

Phil's hat has proved to be a big attraction (it is an Aussie Akubra-style hat). We have had quite a few offers to swap hats and requests for photos with the hat on (i.e. they wear the hat and get us to take a photo with their camera).

Caught the ferry to Elephanta island today. What a process just to get on the ferry. There are plenty of people at the Gateway to India wanting to sell us something or give us something in return for a "donation" (monks), plus lots just wanting to say hello and find out where we were from.

Elaphanta Island has caves hewn out of the rock containing carvings of Hindu "gods" (Shiva...) dated back to around 700AD. There are plenty of people wanting to help guide you, sell you trinkets or offer to let you take a photo with them - all for suitable payment of course.

Our noses are constantly assualted by new and strange smells. The smog is bad, visibility is a couple of km so you cannot see the city from Elephanta Island (10km away) but you can see the oil refineries, smoke stacks from the power station and ships everywhere. It is moderately hot, about mid 30s but humid like Darwin. Quite different to Alice Springs on a dry 40C day.

We have some photos but there is no USB port at this Internet Cafe, so you have to wait for them.

A happy Easter to you all.

Tags: Culture

 

Comments

1

The "monks" are probally still hitting you up to help the TSUNAMI orphans. Check out the east coast area's for resonable pristine beach front lodging. Great travel log. Enjoy Tom & Kim

  Tom & Kim Gerhart Apr 9, 2007 4:59 PM

2

Hey guys
Great to see your photo and read about your adventures! How is the coffee? We are missing you on the morning ride. Take care

Mandy and Stu

  mandy hargreaves Apr 11, 2007 3:52 PM

3

How are the nits Phil? Risky loaning your Akubra! Thanks for the Darwin card and stamp - have you visited any Post Offices -don't forget to take photos of them for me! Mat & Kareena staying in W A for another year. Great family time at Easter - missed you. Love the clipped horse in the gardens and reading of all your adventures. Have fun, love you both.

  Aileen Davis Apr 12, 2007 3:40 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.