Existing Member?

tales of the Independent Traveller

Home in Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Wednesday, 22 April 2009 | Views [710]

I have made my home in Kampot and have had a great first few weeks. Cant believe its the third week already.

A few things are as to be expected but also some are not.

Internet is really slow, hence no updated photos for quite some time.

Atmosphere is relaxed and friendly.

Volunteer placement needs some adjustments.

But here what its like:

Kampot is a very beautiful town by the river, the buildings are all french inspired and most look very old with water marks all down the walls and faded exterior paint. Many have high contrete fences around them. There are many shanty houses and abandoned buildings that are now homes to the poorer people. The markets are amazing. They are real Cambodian markets much more dirty (the floor) than those in Phnom Phen and Siem reap. There are live chooks ready to be plucked and freshly killed pigs heads in the meat section. The stink is unbelievable around this area. The fruit and vegie section is great you you can buy a kilo of mangoes for US$1. Early in my stay I went to buy some fruit but it was difficult when i was not quite sure of the prices that I should be paying. One lady said 10 000riel for 2 nashi apples and the next said 3000 riel for 2 so I will learn as I go becasue I still think I paid to much with 3000riel it should be about this much for 1 kg not for 1/2 kg i think. You just dont know which ones will give you the real price and which people will give you the farang price (foriegner price) but I'm starting to get a feel for how much things should cost.

Oh and a note about the fashion here. Picture pygamas that kids wear in Australia are actually a daily fashion wear for woman young and old. Quite strange to see people walking around in their pygamas but I haven't been game to tell anyone this yet although I'm quite sure its been observed many times.

The rainy season has started already and we had a few big storms in the late afternoon and night during my first week here. Most of the day is fine though but we haven't had any rain for about 1 week now. The streets get quite muddy but by the next morning most of then have dried up. This is not seasonal weather for this time of the year and they still keep saying theres no such thing as climate change.


Have just had Khmer New Year so was on a break from the orphanage for a while, people dont work very hard in Cambodia. Language barrier at the orphanage is not to bad. there is a young boy (16yrs) who speaks quite good english so he has been very helpful in telling me how things work. Schools have been on hoidays for Cambodian new year which fell over 3 days, 12th-14th April, school resumed on Monday, so things have not quite be the normal routine. The orphanage itself seems to de quite well funded so I think I will really consider where I'm going to use my money.

Am teaching english classes 5:30 til 6:30 and have started to do some networking to try and find another place to get involved with. I met Barbara at The Little Garden Bar, she was the lady who i'd first organised my accomodation with. She was able to direct me to a canadian woman, Sarah so i'll see her after lunch to try get a broad picture of whats around.

On saturday, I met with a french man to talk about his organisation. He gets students refered to him from schools, who are in need of financial support to enable them to continue their schooling. However once I spoken with him I''ve decided that I didn't really like the selection process that he uses to decide which children he takes on. First he does an economic evaluation of their family and home situation, which is a great idea to ensure that money is actually a problem and its not just being gambled or wasted away. But then the children have to sit an exam and if they are smart enough to continue schooling and be successful then he will support them. This part was where the problem is because when I asked him 'well what happens to those students with learning difficulties', his response was that he cant support them and that he only has so much money so it should be spent where children will succeed but he dosen't offer them a referal to another organisation. Unfortunately this is following the Khmer system and is not helping develop entire communities. He doesn't just focus on a single village but picks the students who have potential to achieve from the whole Kampot area. I think it would be much more beneficial to build a stronger community and promote equality within the village in an attempt to help the whole comminuty not just an individual. But thats just my opinion and this is afterall Cambodia.

On Monday we went to the openning for a new performing arts centre building which is part of one of the biggest non-gov organisations. EPIC ARTS has been established for some years and supports deaf and disabled youth in developing skills in performing arts. A great program and very successful. I'd like to talk to the director, sometime next week (after the busy time of moving into their new building). Maybe she will be able to help me find something. They also work with an arts school for children, a bit like a sister school.

So things are moving very slowly in terms of the volunteer work but hopefully i can get something sorted out soon.


We went to Bokor Mountain National Park during Khmer New Year. I dont think I told you already. It has been closed for the past 10 months as the Koreans are starting to build a massive resort. They openned it especially for New Year becasue its always enjoyed by Khmer people over this time as they are taking holidays. I dont know how they can build in the middle of a national park but it is. $$$$$. At the top of Bokor there is a ruined french resort with a huge, grand casino building. Its falling apart now and their is no colour left in any of the wall paint but the structure itself is still standing (just). You can walk through the maze of rooms and try not to get lost. There were once 100 rooms but all the different parts of the buildings are reached by different stair cases. There was one place that if you looked out a window and saw an open verandah you easily thought that you would walk down three steps in the next room and there would be the exterior door but no, you had to walk to the opposite side of the building go down 2 flights of stairs and back to the other side then up more stairs. Quite amazing architectural plan. It really is an amazing place. I am very glad i was here during new year because i doubt it will be open again in its natural state. But next time with the beginning of a huge resort and a los vegas style casino. When we went up it was misty weather and freezing so you couldn't see the view but it is magnificent apparently, seeing right out to Kep and the surrounding islands. On the way up the mountain we could stop and see the view. Surprisingly Kampot is very close to the ocean which I didn't realise from the map.

Well, this is Cambodian life so far. Its all slow and steady but I know its for me at the moment.

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.