Existing Member?

tales of the Independent Traveller

Turning 28 in Thailand

THAILAND | Saturday, 21 February 2009 | Views [332]

I had a wonderful birthday in Chiang Rai whilst I was still on the Intrepid Tour. Funny enough, I almost missed it. Have not been running on a calender for 2 weeks now and have found it very difficult to know what day it was. Whilst Lara ( my room mate I were discussing our plans for the next day) were figuring out what day it was so that we could read the itinerairy I had a light bulb moment and realised that the next day was my birthday. I honestly completely forget.

Lara was great in spoiling me for my birthday. She went and got Iced coffee and orange juice (she didn't know what I'd prefer), so when I got out of the shower it was a lovely surprise.

Later in the day she also gave me a present of a small reclining buddha; which is my Buddha for the day that I was born on (each day of the week has a differently positioned Buddha and it represents treats of your personality). I was very touched by this generous gift as it was very personalised.

That night we went to have dinner at the night market. Pui, our group leader surprised me with a cake that she had organised. It was hand delivered by our Trekking guide on her scooter. This was a great surprise as we had said good bye to her the day before. The cake arrived a little worse for wear due to the crazy scooter driving skills (common to all Thai  people) but most importantly the message on it survived "Happy Birth Day to Anna".

It was a very special day and one I'm sure I wont forget.

 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.