Existing Member?

tales of the Independent Traveller

Where did it all start?

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 15 January 2009 | Views [299]

Whilst teaching in Western Sydney for 3 years, I had many encounters with kids of refugee backgrounds from parts of Africa or the Middle east. The impact of these events, were in some cases horrific and would influence the childs life for years to come. But one thing i realised was that these kids had a family to support them and help them through their difficult experiences. I realised that so many children in the world had gone through some unbelievably challenging experiences also, but these kids lacked the parental support that the children i taught, were so lucky to have. And for this reason, at that time of awakening, I decided that i wanted to venture abroad to help give these kids a better future. I can not take away their past or give them back their family, I may not even be able to significantly change what the future holds for them, but I can give them the opportunity to smile one more time each day. And that is a lot for kids who once forgot how to smile.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.