Existing Member?

Our Wander Lust Around the World

Kosi Bay - A fisherman's village with a gorgeous beach

SOUTH AFRICA | Thursday, 21 August 2008 | Views [1823]

The jewel of the Elephant Coast, Kosi Bay Nature Reserve features a string of four lakes that tip down into an estuary lined with some of the quitest beaches in South Africa.

With an early morning headstart after a delicious breakfast prepared by our lovely host, Hdye, we boarded our lodge manager Mike's 4x4 truck...I am glad that I sat outside as the views of our vehicle snaking through thick rainforest like vegetation were to die for! We were heading to the 'Black River' for some 'traditional' canoeing as the boats were made by the local tribe out of the 'Raffia' Palm wood.

Standing at the waters edge is a Raffia Palm raft which the guide informs the hiker is quite safe. He also suggests that it would not be a good idea to fall into the river as there are plenty of Crocs waiting for a tasty morsel!  Once the river is crossed, the trail winds through beautiful mangrove swamps and past some Raffia Palms. Kosi Bay is the only location in South Africa where this species occurs naturally. Its leaves, up to 18m long, are the largest in the plant kingdom.

In the afternoon, we headed out for yet another adventure excursion - some snorkeling and swimming in the beach. Kosi Bay's coral reef offers excellent snorkelling just offshore. There are hippos, Zambezi sharks and some crocs in the lake system, and more than 250 bird species!

Concluded the evening with some good laughs over Fernando's killer cocktails, Passion fruit 'Caipirinhias' and a delicious African meat 'Brai' (South African slang for BBQ)

 
 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.