Existing Member?

Sarah Heads Down Under

May 2012

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 3 June 2012 | Views [805]

So the last month hasn't been that exciting. I have been working full time in the Cafe and Matt spent three weeks counting how many people were riding on the trams which was a very fulfilling job for him. I have moved to the new cafe in Port Melbourne now. It's a much nicer area of town than where I was working before. It's in a nice suburb by the sea so people are much more relaxed than the business men and women coming in on their lunch breaks where I used to work. 

The only time we have really had to do anything 'touristy' has been the weekends. Most of them have been spent hanging out with our room mates sneakily drinking 'goon' in the room. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of drinking a box of goon I will explain what it is. Basically you can buy 5 litres of wine for about 5 quid. It tastes vile and leaves a pretty nasty hangover. The box also warns 'may contain traces of fish and egg product' which of course is what everyone hopes to find in their wine. It's cheap though so we cannot complain. 

This weekend Matt and I decided to avoid the goon and took a trip out of the city for the afternoon which we have been wanting to do for a while. We took and hour train journey to the Dandenong Ranges National Park. A protected forest where there are lots of hiking tracks. It was really nice apart from it being a really popular exercise place for people. There is a track called 'The Thousand Steps' which is actually only 700ish steps climbing up the hill, still a lot though when you haven't exercised in a while. We were pretty puffed out. When we finally reached the picnic ground at the top we were hoping for a nice view across the Yarra valley and back to Melbourne but we were surrounded by trees so no such luck. It also turns out there is a village at the top with a road, which sort of made the climb a lot less rewarding. Still an enjoyable day though and it was great to get some fresh air.

Tags: dandenong ranges national park

About our-lass

Me and Matt in The Grampian National Park

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.