Existing Member?

Sarah Heads Down Under

A Quick Catch Up - Week 2

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 25 March 2012 | Views [315] | Comments [1]

Matt finally arrived in Melbourne on the 21st March, about a week after I arrived. It was so typical that the morning I had to walk for twenty mins to our hotel with all my bags and then another forty minutes to the shop for food it was absolutely throwing it down. I was like a drowned rat when I finally checked into my room. Anyway, I made it to the airport in time for Matt arriving. It was very nice to see him, he seemed pretty tired though. I also think he forgot that when you go backpacking you do actually have to carry things. When we arrived at the hotel, I took his rucksack (because I am so kind) and he just hopped off without a care in the world and bag free leaving his camera, laptop, passport, wallet all sitting on the bus. Luckily it hadn't got anywhere because of traffic by the time he realised.

We spent the next few days visiting the tourist attractions of Melbourne. We went to the Melbourne Museum which had a few good exhibits and also a few that seemed to be empty or under repair which was a shame.

We also visited Fitzroy, an area of Melbourne with lots of cool boutiques, bars and cafes on Brunswick Street. The only problem for me about this place is I wanted to buy everything. I wanted to look in all the quirky little shops and by all the clothes. So when you're a backpacker trying to save money, it perhaps isn't the best place to go. I left empty handed!

There is a really cool place near the river called Federation Square. It seems to have festivals on every weekend there. I mentioned the Thai festival I went to the week before. This weekend it was Viva Victoria; a celebration of all different cultures from around the world. We listened to some bands from Croatia, Lithuania, and France. Then we sat and watched couples salsa dancing to a Latin American band. It was a fun day, made better by the wide variety of foods from around the world to choose from. 

I think those are the main things we did that week. It's hard to remember!

Comments

1

Thanks Sarah - enjoy reading about your travel adventures. Got the link to your blog from your FB page. Matt must have been really tired to have forgotten his travel bag on the bus - darned lucky he didn't lose it for good.

  Jeff Cairns Apr 3, 2012 6:49 AM

About our-lass

Me and Matt in The Grampian National Park

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.