Existing Member?

Sarah Heads Down Under

A Quick Catch Up - Week 1

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 18 March 2012 | Views [417]

Hi everybody. So I was planning on starting a blog the moment I arrived in Australia. However, you know how it goes...I got distracted, and now it is three weeks later. So, I'll just try to remember what I have been doing.

My First Week

Well, as most of you who will be reading this know, I headed over here on my own because of Matt's delayed visa. I must admit it was pretty strange those first few days. I found myself getting out of bed in the morning not really feeling sure what to do. Every other time I've been away I have had someone else to help me decide what the plans for the day would be. It was a pretty nice feeling actually. 

So, I spent my first three days staying in Home Travellers Motel in St. Kilda, an area of Melbourne with a great beach, nice bars and cafes, and I cannot forget the most amazing cupcake shops on Acland Street. The hostel was probably not the best option for my first few nights after a long haul flight. I headed to bed that first night (after staying awake all day to get into the time zone) to the sound of 20 drunk backpackers singing along at the top of their voices to some guy playing guitar. Don't get me wrong, you all know I love a good sing song, but that night was not the time for it. 

One thing I didn't know about St Kilda was that there is a colony (I think that's the right word) of penguins living at the end of the pier. Firstly, I thought penguins belong in the cold, and secondly, I didn't think that they would be living in the harbour of a city. I've been to see them three times since I have been in Australia. They are the cutest things. They just pop up out of the rocks and hop around for a while. I think I want one as a pet.

After St Kilda, I headed back into the CBD and spent four nights in Hotel Discovery. It felt like a welcome break from the constant partying in St Kilda, I couldn't wait to get my first full nights sleep. Unfortunately, that first night there was not going to be it. Two Irish guys decided to come in after their night out and wake everyone up. Things got out of hand and security were called, but thankfully they were kicked out the next day. 

That week I visited the Royal Botanic Gardens. As Adam and Matt will know, I love Botanic Gardens, they are the first thing I look for in a new place. It's just so nice walking around a big green space full of plants and flowers when your in a big city. I had a wonderful day and even managed to watch three couples getting married.

I also spent a day at the Thai Food And Culture Festival. This was really cool, lots of dancing, martial arts and the best part....lots of food. I did make a bad choice however, I ordered this frozen jellied coconut thing which sounded quite nice and refreshing. It wasn't, It looked like a jelly fish in a coconut shell. I don't recommend it to anyone.

I think those are the main things I did that first week. I did a lot of sunbathing on the beach and in the parks around the city, but there isn't really much I can say about that.

 

About our-lass

Me and Matt in The Grampian National Park

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.