Existing Member?

Same Same, but Different A short blog of our adventurous trekkings across Viet Nam

Until next time....

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 21 July 2010 | Views [80] | Comments [1]

Heidi here. Trying to wrap up my thoughts on the trip to Vietnam is like trying to eat a Chipotle burrito in one bite....too much to chew on! The trip was a blessing in so many ways.  I think God knew just what he was doing when he made a way for me to go. I needed fresh perspective....to see grace actively working in another part of the world, and to temporarily forget my own struggles while embracing those of someone else.  

The orphanage remains one of my top experiences of the trip. I was expecting something different...and was pleasantly surprised. I loved seeing the joy of the workers as they held the babies. I stared and just treasured watching one of the workers make this 4 month old baby laugh...the belly laugh that makes all mother-hearts crinkle up with joy.  No, I'm sure the babies aren't held enough..there are not enough arms to do that. But, I could tell that they did the best they could with what they had.  Sometimes that's all you can do. Just give what you have and God will take care of the rest.

As I passed out clothes to the workers for the kids, they were laughing and talking and throwing the outfits to the babies they thought would sport them perfectly. They started changing their outfits on the spot and holding up the babies in their cute outfits. It was so awesome to be able to bless them with diapers, formula, and other fun things and to see them excited about it. (A huge shout out to everyone who helped support the orphanage project. I simply could not have done it without you! )All of us wanted to stay longer but we knew we had to leave.  I felt like I could have stayed for at least 3 more years.

For me personally, it was just confirmation that there are so many babies out there needing loving homes.  Danny and I have been considering adoption, so this took on a whole new meaning for me. If I could have taken some home, I'm sure I would have. There was room in my heart for them all. I was praying that they would find good, cozy homes with loving families. In my heart, I love to think about how God is working in their lives. I like to think that even if things in my world are hard, He is actively in pursuit of wooing their hearts and meeting their needs.

I'm so grateful that I was able to go on this trip. I can't say thank you enough to those who helped get us there.  The trip back was long, and we came back to some slight chaos with my sister going into labor and Danny having a bloodclot from the long flight! Thankfully, he is okay and I now have a gorgeous nephew to dote on...praise God that I got to be here for his birth!

Well, like I said...there is no way to wrap this burrito up neatly. So much in my heart is spilling out- I don't know how to put it in words. One of the best parts of the trip was being with the team. Dan- he is so stinking fun to be around. His heart is huge and he has such a kind temperment. Ben and Anicka were my sandwich people- they walked me across the street numerous times in the crazy Saigon traffic as well as just being great, deep conversationalists. Howard and Myrna are my dear friends and two people I would travel anywhere with for any length of time. And then there's Danny- I'm a lucky woman to have a super hardworking husband who is willing to travel to Asia with me and loves the people of Vietnam like I do. Thanks to all of you out there who followed our blog and prayed for us along the way. Until next time...and I do pray there will be a future Vietnam trip...may God enliven your heart with his goodness and bless you for the role you played in this trip!

-Heidi

Comments

1

I want to go next time. You are wonderful. I want to hold those babies. Love you so, dear friend.

  Jeanna Jul 21, 2010 2:12 PM

About ouboomertx


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.