Existing Member?

Same Same, but Different A short blog of our adventurous trekkings across Viet Nam

We need a bigger bus.

VIETNAM | Wednesday, 14 July 2010 | Views [73]

Ben and Anicka here.  Our experience in Hanoi was a little different from the others'.  We opted to forgo the tour to Halong Bay and spent the day wandering the streets, shops and market in the old town.  The next day the team visited Hoa Lo Prison (aka: the Hanoi Hilton) where pilots shot down during the American War (as they call it here) were taken.  The propaganda made it seem as if these prisoners of war were on some kind of slightly inconvenient vacation in Hanoi.  Personally (Ben) I found myself feeling very upset and the whole experience in Hanoi felt very oppressive, nothing like our experience in Saigon.  I was glad to be back last night to celebrate my birthday with friends at a grill-your-own-meat outdoor restaurant. I (Anicka) definitely felt as though people were not nearly as open and friendly in Hanoi as they have been elsewhere (in the South) on our trip.  I was most surprised to be essentially ignored as we walked through the main market.  Sure, the people trying to get your attention to sell you something: clothes/taxi/watch/fan/etc. can be a bit tiresome in Saigon, but it is mostly friendly and welcoming. It seemed to also be a point in the trip where I felt more like a traveling tourist and less connected through relationships.  Both Ben and I prefer to be engaged relationally with a place and to be doing something for others.  It was great to all spend the evening at the BBQ Garden enjoying our food, companionship and stories to celebrate Ben's birthday. Hard to believe the trip is nearly over.

We've put the rest of the team on the taxi to the airport where they await 3 plane changes and a 18+ hour trip.  In fact, they aren't even airborne yet, despite the fact that they left 2 1/2 hours ago, ah the joys of international air travel. 

The bigger bus reference is to the fact that the 7 of us have regularly squeezed into SMALL SUV-type taxi vehicles on this trip.  3 in the "cargo area seat", 3 in the middle, and usually Dan in the front.  However on the last few taxi trips we've taken together the decision has been unanimous, "We need a bigger bus".  Perhaps it's just travel fatigue or selfish desire for more leg room, but it has been more comfortable.  Thank you everyone who has been supportive in any way.  We look forward to the continuation of what was started here.  We fly out of Saigon tomorrow evening, back to Portland and ??? Your thoughts, prayers, and assistance have been invaluable and we are very grateful! We hope to post more detailed stories about our last couple of weeks as we get more time in front of the computer.  Also we may be uploading more pictures, video and travel tips/suggestions etc. So keep on checking if you're interested.

Anicka & Ben

About ouboomertx


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.