Existing Member?

Same Same, but Different A short blog of our adventurous trekkings across Viet Nam

Foundational Truths

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 13 July 2010 | Views [85] | Comments [3]

Danny checking in once again...we wrapped up our contribution to the construction project a couple of days ago now and I think my body has finally recovered.  Our original plan before leaving the states was to build a new roof for a very poor family but due to unseen circumstances we shifted gears.  As I mentioned in my earlier blog we were now going to level a floor and lay tile for this same familly.  By the way, the roof was completed about a week before our arrival...the rain storms pushed their hand and they acted quickly.  Thank the Lord we had already sent the money for the project. 

The "Ung" family lives on a piece of land that lies on what used to be a river, but now has been filled in and a community now resides there.  Just out back of their dwelling is a river of sorts, consisting of trash and anything else that we would typically discard in a normal day.  Yes this includes their waste which is being funneled into this "river".  I was taught that Manhatten Island was built on a land fill, and if you can imagine that this community of people live on a similar land fill without the comforts of our American existence.  As you could possibly imagine this is a real problem area in times of storm.  Vietnam has a true rainy season unlike the drought conditions we typically live in back home in Texas.  When the rains comes this river will rise and with it comes all kinds of muck and grime of days and years past. 

Here lies the importance of a firm and level foundation in which to bulid a safe place for this family.  Ben and I worked very hard digging the trenches for the piping of this sewage and flood protection system.  In all we dug approx. 50 feet of trench to a depth of 2-2 1/2 feet.  The only speed we know to work is putting the pedal to the metal and that is what we did for 2 days.  The work was very physically demanding but in the end also very rewarding.  To see the look on the faces of the family that we served was priceless and worth every gallon of sweat. 

God enlightened me to the importance of having a solid foundation as I looked upon the work that was being done.  It is on this foundation that can be built a place of safety (refuge) in times of storm.  For this family and you and I, this is a foundational truth  in which to take act.  Without God we do not have a firm place to stand when we are facing the raging rivers and the storms of our life.  I must go...we are checking out of our hotel in Ha Noi...Blessing!

Comments

1

Great truths Danny! Thank you for showing others what true love really is.

  Penny Jul 14, 2010 4:58 AM

2

Definitely appreciate this today! Thanks for sharing!

  Jess Jul 14, 2010 3:33 PM

3

Thanks for sharing this Good Word! I know, first-hand, that you work at only one speed...FAST! Bless you and Ben for being so faithful on this huge job! Love you and Heidi...see you real soon!

  Karen Jul 15, 2010 1:53 AM

About ouboomertx


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.