Existing Member?

Same Same, but Different A short blog of our adventurous trekkings across Viet Nam

So Why Are Oxcarts So Interesting to me?

USA | Thursday, 8 July 2010 | Views [157] | Comments [1]

There's just soemthing cool about an oxcart. Maybe it's that you don't need to be in a hurry, or dodge the never ending parade of scooters. Maybe it's the idea that they were the very first pickup truck. I don't really know, but it brings out something in me that just feels good. 

My son Brady has come up with some great theories on men driving various vehicles. I cannot go into some of them here, but one that stands out is men who drive mini-vans. Brady says if you see a man driving a mini-van it isn't his choice, and he's not happy about it. Check it out, you'll see he's onto something! Eveery oxcart driver I saw was extremely happy, regardless of the fact that they were all very poor.

The oxcart is big in Vietnam, especially in the Central Highlands where we spent much of our day yesterday. We saw them everywhere, and at one point we were waiting for a delivery of food supplies to be brought to us and we had a little time on our hands. Now for most folks that isn't a problem. For guys like me, possibly a different story. For two days I had been waiting for an up close look at one of these fine contraptions, and I finally got a close look, And a quick ride! It was great.

More later on the taped feeding, but here's a video....

Daniel, Danny, Dan Taylor 

Comments

1

Dan (Stretch),

It's nice to get the perspective of a first timer in Vietnam! I am seeing it through yours and Anicka's eyes!
Love, Penny

  Penny Jul 14, 2010 4:01 AM

About ouboomertx


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.