Existing Member?

From Cross River with love.

from Cross River with love

NIGERIA | Wednesday, 22 October 2014 | Views [181]

I had the good fortune of spending time in Cross River state for a year, all thanks to the compulsory national youth service scheme. When I got my posting letter and on seeing Cross River State, I was filled with mixed emotions. A part of me was happy, the other sad. I was happy because Cross River state is a dream destination for any professional photographer, sad because I had other plans. The plan was to stay back in Lagos; get exposure and practical experience needed to become a professional photographer. People who I told were delighted to hear I was going to Cross River, not because of the photography aspect, but because of the gist we all know about the state; good food, good sex and tourist destinations. I was told that on informing my mum through a phone call, she burst into tears. It took the effort of neighbors to console her. She had issues with the long distance (average of 12 hours by road), but I believe it was majorly because she had reservations for the ladies in that part of the country, and I really did not blame her. Her fear was me getting tied down there which almost happened with my eldest brother while working in the state. He had a thing with a girl there and when things fell out between them, she showed him pepper; burnt all his stuffs.

I accepted my fate and proceeded on the journey. From the park, the natives tried calming our anxiety by boasting we were visiting a land flowing with milk and honey, and with the gist we have all heard, we believed. Passing through the state to where our camp was located, our eyes began to clear, reality began setting in. What we were seeing was not what we expected. Getting to the camp, our fears were not allayed rather, it was fueled up. We discovered the sad truth that only Calabar, the state’s capital, was it. Two other local governments were seemingly ok, the rest were totally not it. To make matters worse, the monthly stipend was just 3k. Hope for a city life for the next year gone, hope for a manageable stipend gone too, all I had left was hope for a photography experience visiting all the tourist sites in the state. Where was the milk and honey supposedly to be flowing in this state? Truth is, there really is milk and honey flowing in the state, but it is presently limited to Calabar. The stories we have heard about the state was limited to just the capital only.

 I was posted to Obanliku local government, home to the Obudu Mountain Resort. Obanliku was formerly part of Obudu and when Obudu was divided, the ranch went with Obanliku. Obudu is partly small town, partly village. The natives are very simple people but very connected to the outside world. In fact, almost all the houses have a cable dish hanging outside and again, the cars most of the natives make use of, average Lagosians don’t use them. The bad thing though is that you will see the car parked in front of a renovated mud house. What they have in cars, they lacked in houses. I actually thought the town had only just 2 storey buildings for a long while till I actually went round the town and I saw some beautiful houses. 

Crossiverians are welcoming people. Right from when I stepped into the state, I could see the people were happy to see new faces from different tribes. To be truthful, I was scared going out alone for the first few weeks. We all heard gist of how some part of the state used to eat humans so I was right to be scared. In fact, the first time I visited the ranch, I actually thought I was being kidnapped. We just kept going with no end in sight for like an hour. Along the way, people kept hailing the bike man in a language so strange and funny. My mind kept telling me they were telling him to keep a part of me for them. Like, bros, na me get the head o. na me get the thigh o. Very funny now but believe me it wasn’t so for me then.

You know how white rice and stew is so common amongst city people, so is pounded yam with these people. Just pay a visit to any of them and be sure to be blessed with it. I remember the first time a neighbor served me Edikaikong soup. I got tired of eating meat that the person who joined me in finishing the food ate like 3 pieces also. Ok, let me add that the neighbor liked me, one of the gains of nysc.

Now, the much talked about cattle ranch. My first visit there was to make an enquiry. The only other time I was able to go again was on my birthday; a by-force visit. I just couldn’t leave Obudu without exploring nature and beauty. Unlike other birthdays where I would wake reminiscing and thinking about the future, this was so different. I woke up in high spirits that morning. Nothing could have dampened my spirits that day. It was a decision I had made prior to that day. I actually looked forward to it. 

When you think about the ranch, think beauty, think nature, think God. It is a sight to behold for oneself, not something that can be explained or described. Located on a mountain top, you can either go up by road or by the cable car. First time I went, I used the road to go up. It was amazing. One minute I was looking up to a mountain from below, next minute I was on same level with it. The bike man taking me up asked without looking back if it was my first time, the expression on my said it all. It was WOW. The second time, I used the cable car. Now that’s another experience entirely. This time I get to look down and see the artistic design of a creator. The cable car disgraced me and my forefathers though. At one point I was screaming by mere looking down and slight from the car. I guess I’m not a height person. There is a forest walkway on the ranch. The height is same with that of a five storey building. Our guide shared with us that grown men have cried and turned back never completing the walk. I did complete it though. Of all the building on the ranch, I was enamored most with the African hut; the cheapest lodge on the ranch though but most beautiful. The African style got me attracted. 

See, I can’t do much justice describing the ranch, it is something one has to see for oneself. It is a perfect honey moon spot. The quietness and ambiance would be perfect for newly married couples to spend time alone. I left there with a vow to return on a photography expedition. Let me add that when I was leaving on my first visit, as I was saying my byes to friends on the ranch, one second I was seeing them, next second they disappeared from view. Clouds had covered them. I was told it was a normal thing on the ranch.

One cannot talk about Cross River without mentioning the Calabar Carnival; a carnival that lasts for a month, from the first day of December to the first day of January. Visitors and natives are entertained all through the month. From music shows to street parade, to talent hunt, and lots more. The major event of the carnival is the street parade (the biggest street parade in Africa) where different bands come out to compete for the prize sum of 10million naira by expressing the theme for the carnival with costumes. I was fortunate to be a part of the recent one. The carnival was another reason why I did not mind seeing Cross River state as my state of deployment for nysc. I had witnessed that of 2012 on the internet. There were pictures of South American models barely clothed all over the internet at the parade. This got the attention of the entire country then making lots of guys to decide to visit the next one. Let me also add that my decision to visit was purely professional though :D. From the moment I was entering into Calabar, I knew something big was happening in the city. There was much traffic caused by the numerous visitors coming in to witness the street parade. If I could describe the street parade with just a word, it definitely would be colorful. The Ex-Governor’s, Donald Duke, accompanied by his wife and band were the first to show forth what they got. He entertained the crowd to different dance steps and even stopped to be photographed by people. You just have to see it for yourself. Everything about it is something you just have to experience yourself. I also made another vow never to miss future editions of the street parade.

I left Cross River with hopes of making frequent return visits and truth is I really can’t wait to go back on a visit and this time, I intend touring the entire state; from the Cattle Ranch at Obudu, to the National park at Boki, to the Carved Monoliths at Ikom, to the Waterfalls at Etung, and many more tourists centers across the state, and when am done, I will tell the story of Cross River state again with just photos.

 

 

 

About orolabi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nigeria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.