Existing Member?

Orna's Crazy Adventure

Jaipur

INDIA | Saturday, 22 October 2011 | Views [394]

I have successfully arrived in Jaipur! Though of course it wasn't without some confusion... Firstly I arrived at New Delhi Train Station to get my train and found out that even though my ticket said I departed from New Delhi Station I actually needed to go to Old Delhi Station (why of course!). Luckily I had enough time to get an auto-rickshaw to Old Delhi and made my way to what hopefully was the right platform and even this was confusing cause the one platform actually has many platforms i.e. platform 6 turns into platform 5 further up the platform - confusing!!!

Then the train ended up being delayed for 1 and 1/2 hrs and this information was hard to obtain as the announcements seemed either to be in Hindi or unintelligible english - I could only ever make out the last part - "we apologise for any inconvenience caused" - which would always make me worried about what I was missing!!

Anyway, I was kinda stressed cause I knew when the train did come I would have to rush to find my correct coach to board and I just wanted to know in advance where abouts to stand but this wasn't possible.

So for about 2 hrs I waited on the platform and had to endure the horrible stench of urine, flies and ants...

FINALLY the train arrived and I have to say I thought 2nd class would seem a bit nicer...it generally gave off the old and dirty vibe. Though of course this would have been nothing compared to the sleeper compartments where most of India sit on hard benches for hours on end with no air con.

So, about 7 hrs later I arrived in Jaipur. Even this was confusing cause there are no announcements to announce what the station is and it is only rarely that you manage to see a sign with the station name! I knew I could very easily totally miss the station. But I didn't!

And now I'm here in my budget hotel! It's quite strange to be here alone after spending the 2 weeks with the family. And there is no wifi here which means I am even more isolated :( Though I'm happy to be on the road again. However, whilst in Faridabad I managed to get a bit of a cold - I think probably to do with the pollution and being around the slum school kids who are often sick. Actually the pollution and dust here is so intense I can feel it in my throat!! The sun sets in such a bright red colour - absoluntely beautiful but also a sign of the pollution. Around Faridabad it was just so hazy - crazy! I asked a guy here what happens to people with asthma and he said they are in hospital and have great difficulty breathing!! So I'll be happy if the feeling of pullution in my throat subsides...

Well, I guess thats about it for now...

x Orna

About orna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.