Existing Member?

Orna's Crazy Adventure

Saigon, Mekong Delta and Mui Ne

VIETNAM | Sunday, 11 September 2011 | Views [2147]

Hmmm, so, the Mekong Delta wasn't quite what I expected... I've decided that I actually only like short and slower rides on a scooter - preferably not fast rides along a highway with the wind being REALLY NOISY and then with the rain pelting down on me!! 

I discovered though that Vietnam has all these hammock cafes! You order a drink and lie in a hammock! It's funny. So I had heaps of iced coffees - but mind you the milk they use here in Vietnam is condensed milk!!!

Then when we finally got to the Mekong Delta, we went on a boat around the river coconuts. I saw a place where they made coconut candy and also a place where they make puffed rice and barbequed tapioca. The fresh coconut candy was really yummy! And the barbequed tapioca!

The best part of the trip was then taking a boat to a place on the Mekong to see the sunset - we sat on a little peir and the guys barbequed shrimp which we had with lime and salt - lime and salt is sooooooo good! So that was really nice - the river was so calm and the sunset so beautiful. Then we went to this spot where there were fireflies!! So cool! I have never seen them before - they looked like flashing xmas lights in the trees!

The next day we went to the floating markets but they were nothing special at all! I realised later on that we went far too late - at about 11:30am. The markets are at their most lively in the morning!! So that was a shame... it was all a bit like, oh, I expected something else!! I think also because it was rainy and overcast it didn't help!

One thing was funny though - before we got on the boat I told my guide that I needed the toilet. So he pointed me to a door, which I opened, but there was nothing there except for a bucket with water! So I said to him, "But where's the toilet?" and he said,"There - there's the toilet!" and so I'm looking again and again I say - "but there's no toilet!" and he says, "yes - toilet!" so I realise that you are just supposed to go on the floor and then your wee will drip through the cracks!! I don't know happens with no. 2's though!!! So these Vietnamese women who see my confusion point me in the direction of another toilet (which actually had a toilet) which unfortunately absolutely stank!! Ahhhhhh!!! Anyway, many toilet experiences!!

Another cool thing was that I got to see lots of high school students on their bicycles - the girls wear the traditional long white dresses with slits up the sides and white pants. They hold the sides of their dresses in their hands when they are cycling - so beautiful and traditional Vietnam!

After the market I told my guide that I wanted to go back to Saigon cause he actually turned out to be bit dodgy! Not like his book said!!

So we drove back to Saigon and I was sooooooooooooooooooooo happy to be back! No more tours on my own! Group tours only!!

That night I went to eat at the night markets and had the BEST rice pancake with vegetables - we have it back home at Bay Tinh in Marrickville but I found out here that the way you're supposed to eat it is actually get a lettuce leaf and then put lots of bits inside (pancake, filling and herbs) and roll it up and then eat it! Though I asked for just a vegetable pancake and the vegetables that came were just onion and bean sprouts! Funny! Not the tofu and broccoli and carrots and corn that you get back home!

Next day I booked a GROUP tour to the cu chi tunnels - soooooooo happy to be in a group and it was a good experience to actually realise what it was like in those tunnels. Though again the guide's engrish was a little annoying - they talk as if they know english really well and the whole time I am thinking that I have no idea what they just said and you just end up nodding and hoping that some of it will make sense! At one point someone asked how they got light in the tunnels and the guide says, "oi". Then later another guy asks the same question and the guide says, "don;t you listen! I already answered that question! Oi!" and finally I go, "Oh! OIL lamps!!". I have realised that it is just standard for them to leave the last letter(s) off words - even their petrol is called "Saigon Petro" - hahaha!

Later on I went walking in the wrong direction looking for the post office, and when I finally found it (after many people stopping to try help me and it not working) I realised it was quite funny cause it was this massive place with about 20 people doing the job of 2 people in Australia!! They all do one bit, then send you to another line where they do another bit, and they send you on to the next line! At least they get jobs I guess!

That night it was pouring with rain and I decided to get a massage - a hot rock one! I actually didn’t really like it and I kept reminding myself - it's all an experience!! While also telling myself never again!!! I tell you it wasn't relaxing!! Then afterwards, the woman who gave me the massage shows me a peice of paper where I had to write whether the massage was not good, good, or very good. It also had a section for TIP. So I go to write "good" and she says, "no no very good" so she makes me write very good! And I think, ok, fair enough, she'll probably lose her job if I don;t write very good. Then she tells me to give her a tip and I'm thinking, well, I don;t really want to cause I didn;t really like it!! But she shows me a peice of paper showing other people's tips and tells me I have to do same same!! She was very forceful - this had never happened in Thailand, Laos or Cambodia!! They probably write down what tip they wanted! So yes, alllllll an experience!

Next day - War Remnants Museum. Very sad and tragic. The Americans have compensated their own soldiers who were exposed to Agent Orange but they have not acknowledged any of the Vietnamese claims. The US High Court refused to hear their case. Very sad. I didn;t realise that the affects of Agent Orange continue to impact upon generation after generation - I thought it was just the immidiate generation.

In all, I really loved Saigon - the busyness, the traffic, the lights - it just had a really good feeling!! Like you could step out of your guest house and me imersed in the happening city!

Leaving Saigon I took the bus to Mui Ne which is supposed to be a beautiful beach site! BUT it's been pouring with rain the entire time and overcast!! :( I woke up this morning thinking I will head straight to the beach and put my swimmers on. Then I step outside and realise that thats not going to happen!

So this afternoon I booked a GROUP tour to go to the white and red sand dunes. The white sand dunes were really amazing (they are there because it actually used to be the sea there) and yay it stopped raining for a second! So this Chinese girl and I decide to share a quad bike and I told her to drive, but it was hilerious because she couldn;t do it - we couldnt even get up the first hill! So this Vietnamese guy comes along on a quad bike and tells us to get on the back. So the 3 of us went off and it was really fun. I'm surprised we didn't role sideways down the dunes!

Next stop red sand dunes. We get out of the bus and there are kids there selling slides to slide down the hill. Actually the girl who sold me hers was actually 13!!! I could have sworn she was 9!!! So I try to go down but it didn;t work properly for me and then I didn;t want to try again because it started to pour - again!! And then the girl comes running after me demanding a tip! I always thought you tip if you enjoyed the service!! Not here!!

Anyway, after getting soaking wet, I made it back here to the guest house. Phew! Though really the sand dunes were amazing. A bit like the ones in Newcastle I guess.

So, tomorrow I head on the bus to Nhat Trang - another beach which hopefully will have nicer weather!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!

Xxx Orna

About orna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.