Existing Member?

Orna's Crazy Adventure

Participating in a Buddhist ceremony in Pakse and the trials and tribulations of English

LAOS | Tuesday, 30 August 2011 | Views [447]

So I ended up going with another girl to the Wat to see this ceremony and all the monks started talking to us and explaining about their ceremony which they do once a year to worship Buddha. We ended up participating in it which was really nice - we got given flowers and incense and watched them light candles on this boat they had made out of bamboo to sail on the Mekong. People also lit lanterns which they then let go into the sky.

It was nice that the monks were talking to us but sometimes it is so tiring especially when they think they know english well and in fact I had no idea what they were saying! So for hours they think they are speaking english and I'm trying really hard to decipher what they are saying and you end up saying "ohhh, yes" but you have no idea what you are responding to!! Half the time I am wondering if they are really speaking Lao!!

It was like this one time when this Lao guy who teaches english was speaking to us and he kept saying "keb" and we had no idea what he was talking about until we realised that he was saying "cave"!! So we all said, "ohhh!!! CAVE!" and he says, "yes, keb". No idea that he cant say it! And he is an english teacher!! Oh dear...

Now we all say, "steam ry" for "steamed rice" - it's funny - especially cause I was confusing the Germans about the correct way to say it!

About orna


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.