Existing Member?

Bangalore and beyond!

Sunday strolling

INDIA | Tuesday, 9 October 2012 | Views [298]

Word to the wise- don't go for a stroll in the parks of Bangalore on a sunday when you are feeling a wee bit homesick!

On one level it was lovely to see so many families playing "shuttlecock" and setting down huge picnics ( forget about a few wee sandwiches, we are talking taking the full meal to the park including the big pot of rice, the dhal, 4 or 5 other pots and tiffin containers and the freshly made breads). It is the only place I have seen families together . Often you see the men on their own at the tea stalls or on the steps of buildings/ around mopeds talking and watching. It is also the only public place I have seen young couples sitting closely together showing affection -no kissing (no I am not stalking, what happens in the bushes stays in the bushes!) and men of all ages being very affectionate ( I know it is what male friends do here but I am intrigued. We are not just talking losely holding hands but linked, bonded fingers , stroking arms and arms around each others shoulders. It is lovely to see and refreshing. Is it a natural result of the fact that in certain classes or castes men and women are not suppossed to meet on their own or show affection? Not a clue and haven't found anyone yet that I feel comfortable to ask. You see a few young woemn holding hands but that is far, far less.

Ok, so wee bit of sadness apart I had a great wander round. The weather was coolish ( perhaps about 27 degrees) and I started at the Bull Temple. This is a 16th Century temple perched on top of a hill in one of the oldest parts of Bangalore.Below is another temple to Ganesh with an 18ft high and 16 ft wide idol. I missed seeing the idol because there was a constant stream of the faithful going in and I felt too much of an outsider to interupt them but I did see the similarly sized black Bull (see photos). I didn't know whether it was appropriate to take photos as again there were faithful blessing themselves and 2 priests(?) taking offerings of money for a blessing. So I salved my cnscious, put money in the collection box and sneaked a few photos.

I felt a little smug because I had gone to the temple on my own in a rickshaw yet there were lots of white men being taken round the temples by guides in taxis. Admittedly they were getting a running commentary but this means having to go at someone elses pace and I just enjoyed people watching for a while. I need to be less cynical too as I was approached by 2 men who asked who I was and where I came from. I thought that he was trying to sell me something but he then introduced me to his wife and children and welcomed me to Bangalore. Lesson learnt Mckay!!

Then next to the temples was another lovely park where one section had a sign saying that it was a meeting place for the Bangalore laughter club.

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.