Existing Member?

BEYOND THE WALL

TONGLING, NINBO, SHANGHAI AND HONG KONG

CHINA | Saturday, 11 February 2012 | Views [517] | Comments [5]

Normal 0 0 1 193 1104 9 2 1355 11.1282 0 0 0

Welcome from Hong Kong!

It feels like I just came through a black hole and revisited the real world of Google, Facebook and the English language!  Never the less, I was able to spend the Chinese New Year in Xingyue Village, Shunan in Anhui Province.  The village consisted of about 16 residents, all of the same family name/clan.  I was was excited about the food and decorations preparations for the Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) .  Dumplings and "meefin bah bah" and fish, pork, poultry with many vegetables.  It was 28 degrees F and snowing when I awoke one morning! There was no heat except a water bottle for your feet under the covers in your bed and also boxes to sit in with embers from the Wok fire placed under a grate to keep you warm.  Chamber pots provided at night, interesting out house for during the day. Lots of family members from other areas came home to celebrate.  I was quite the spectacle being a foreigner so there were lots of camera shots as I posed with family members.   Fire works went off all day and also at night.  I played Mahjong and had an incredible experience. 

On February 2nd I travelled to Shanghai and spent four days before heading to Hong Kong on the 6th.  I have some great photos to add to this blog as soon as I figure out how to do it.  Tablets are different then laptops and PC's.

 

Comments

1

So wonderful to follow along with your travels, Carol!! We miss you!

  Vanessa Feb 11, 2012 7:12 PM

2

Enjoyed your update. Sure sounds like a fun and interesting time.

  Charlotte Feb 12, 2012 12:33 PM

3

We love hearing from you and are enjoying your experiences. Can't wait to hear more and see some photos. You go girl!

  Deb Lindquist Feb 14, 2012 5:27 AM

4

Can't wait to hear about your playing Mah Jongg!

  Peggy H. Feb 15, 2012 12:57 AM

5

Thanks for the update. Sounds very interestign. Take Care

  Jeff Coleman Feb 15, 2012 7:35 AM

About onespirit555

beautiful food presentation

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.