Existing Member?

BEYOND THE WALL

SHANGHAI TO NINGBO

CHINA | Sunday, 15 January 2012 | Views [544] | Comments [8]

It has taken this long to provide an update on my trip to China because I have not had good internet access. I arrived in Shanghai on New Years Eve. My couch surfing hosts, consisting of a mother, father, 12 year old son, an auntie and my friend Tiger, picked me up at the airport and we went to their home in Ningbo about three hours away. I settled in, met the family and went to bed. In the following days, I visited a 1700 old library with 80,000 books, Walmart, street vendors, a grocery store and ate and ate and ate. I have had turtle, shrimp, eel, pig intestines, various fish, shell fish, fish testicles, bamboo, green vegetables, squash and many more, all cooked in a wok. No ovens here! They eat for 1-2 hours at a time, and it is all double dipping. In the evenings I would listen to beautiful piano music on a Yamaha Grand Piano by a 12 year old boy and his dad. I then went to a nearby city of Cixi and stayed in a very ritzy hotel. In the next few days I met lots of people and spent a couple of nights with a family of two docters and their daughter. We went to Wei Li Temple and saw beautiful ancient architecture with many buddahs and monks. I also went to the remains of a very old porcelain china factory. It was flooded with water, along with the village when a damn was built to provide drinking water. I met a buddhist family and they were preparing to perform a ceremony to return fisn and rabbits, bought at the street market, to their natural habitats as an act of kindness often done in their culture. They invited me to accompany them. The father hailed a boat from the opposite shore. Soon we were on the boat throwing rice into the resevoir. We carefully picked up each fish and placed them into the water while the mom waved customary flags and the dad chanted and sang. On the opposite shore the rabbits were released into the wild and a similar ceremony held. I am now preparing to go to Tongling, my host's home village for the spring festival. It is the Chinese New Year celebration that takes place over a couple of weeks. This year it is the year of the Dragon. We will prepare food and decorations. I also have had foot massages, hair wash and massage and a beutiful red winter coat was hand made for me because I am the biggest human in China! I will be back in a couple of weeks and hopefully get a connection to write again. By the way, fireworks go off every day at any time of day. They are part of many ceremonies here in preparation for the new year.

Comments

1

The girls and I are excited to hear about your trip! Sounds like you are enjoying the immersion into the culture from the food to diverse ceremonies that can be found. Take care and update soon.

  Hazel Jan 16, 2012 7:05 PM

2

Sounds like you are having an amazing adventure! You are missing -25 degrees at home! Thanks for the update and so happy you are getting to do this!! Take lots of photos!!

  Vanessa Jan 16, 2012 7:21 PM

3

FANTASTIC I AM SO HAPPY!! BY YOU EXPERIENCING ALL THESE PLACES AND PEOPLE, I AM ALSO. HUG PEOPLE>

  cathy Jan 17, 2012 1:09 AM

4

IAM PLANNING MY TRIP IN AUG TO CHINA WILL BE THEIR FOR 2 MONTHS ARE YOU COUCH SURFING IN CHINA??? OR HOSTELING FOR A PLACE TO STAY???

  evelyn Jan 17, 2012 5:04 AM

5

Carol, thank you so much for sharing your adventures with us. Sounds amazing! Very inspiring. Can't wait to hear more!

Suzanne & Shawn

  suzanne brown Jan 17, 2012 5:24 AM

6

Carol, wonderful to read about your travels in
China. You lead by example with the couch
Surfing experience. You make me want to
Give the couch surfing thing a try. Sure helps
With cutting down on expenses. Sounds like
Wild things you are exoerincing. Maybe I can
Come surf on your coach some day!

  Ann Jan 17, 2012 6:46 AM

7

So glad to hear you are doing well and enjoying China. All is well here in Maine, cold -5 yesterday morning. About 7 inches of snow left after our 1st snowstorm Thurs. Left a comment on Sunday. didn't print ??

  Charlotte Jan 17, 2012 8:06 AM

8

Hi Carol, we're interested in your travels and are watching for updates. You must not be getting good interent service. I hope all is going well. Best Wishes.

  Jeff in NM Feb 2, 2012 7:24 AM

About onespirit555

beautiful food presentation

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.