Existing Member?

Makan Angin

Langorous Lumpur

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 5 December 2009 | Views [547] | Comments [1]

Smooth and stylish or chaotic and cramped you have to make your own decision about Kuala Lumpur. I found it a different city from 15 years ago in both its skyline and its people. Truly a modern cosmopolitan city now it was difficult to find your way round and the beautiful old historic buildings around Merdeka Square had taken a back seat to the new stars ie Petronas Towers and Menara Kuala Lumpur. I did manage to find The Coliseum Hotel which still serves the coldest beer in a bar full of expats(drunk or otherwise).

We lined up for 1.5 hours to get tickets for the Petronas tour which was a bit of an anti-climax as you only go up to the 44th floor. Perhaps it would be better to pay the $20 Ringitt for the Tower tour.Having a 13 year old girl in tow meant we had to do the tour of the shopping malls. Spectacular, as they really are something else, especially Times Tower which has a 5 storey amusement park inside and The Pavilion with its enormous Christmas display.

The food on offer was probably once again our highlight and we found ourselves returning to Jalan Alor(Golden Triangle area)each night for seafood feasts. Large fish in sauce, satay,vegetables and meat dish with drinks incl. beer/fruit juice costing approx.$30 Aust.ie for three people.Geordie was still addicted to Roti Canai and was very happy when he discovered he didn't have to leave our hostel grounds(ordering through the fence)to feed his need.

We decided to head from KL to Kuala Selangor to see the fireflies and did our research even getting the hostel manager to call the bus station to confirm. We were told to catch Bus 141 from Platform 24 at Puduraya. When we got to Pudaraya it was to discover there are only(you guessed it!) 23 platforms.After an hour of directions and discussions we found the bus stop on Jalan Medan Pasar. Yes still Bus 141. On arrival in K Selangor where we told we could get a bus or taxi to resort we found that neither was available.After some time and discussion a local guy gave us a lift to the resort.For anyone considering going the same route you then need to negotiate a lift out of there. We were able to get a taxi(?) to Lumut for $200 Ringitt. The firefly tour was great even though it was short and well worth the trouble of getting to and from.

Tags: eating in kuala lumpur., firefly tour, petronas towers

Comments

1

Hey Old Man,
when are you coming back to school? Hayden does not like being bossed around by a female teacher! We miss you! Don't forget to chuck your kids over the edge. Have a good time.
Love Nipper & Brod (joking)

  Luke & Brod Dec 7, 2009 8:57 AM

About ollie_follies


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.