Existing Member?

Adventures in South East Asia!

Bangkok by Day and Night (Part Three)

THAILAND | Monday, 12 July 2010 | Views [549]

For our last night in Bangkok we decided to check out a bit more of the nightlife scene in the Sukhumvit area.  It is also near the more seedier area of Bangkok and we saw a lot older foreign men with (surprisingly not so attractive BUT much younger) Thai escorts. As you can see, the local vendors know their market.

Seems just a tad sketchy to us!  After exploring our neighbourhood (and no we did not hit up the total sketchy parts where women advertise doing seeming impossible things with their bodies) we decided to try out a few bars.

Our first stop was called "Cheap Charlies" it had a junkyard theme going on and was very popular with the expat crowd and the local backpackers.  After a few drinks there we wandered around and tried a street bar - yes, right on the street! 

Just a tad different from Canada.  Strange setting aside the bartender made the best mojitos!

**We have taken quite a few movies - including one that should fit in right here - soon!**

Just because it is late doesn't mean it's cooled down.  Better have another icy one!

After Lisa's awesome street bar we tried another bar or two but they were all closing down.  Leaving us with two options 1. the dance club or 2. 7-11 for some beers and snacks.  After a bit, the desire for munchies won out and we learned a little more about liquor licensing laws in Thailand.  Mainly, 7-11 can only sell alcohol between certain times.  After midnight is not one of them. This totally bummed Peter out but we managed to get some bizarre sandwiches and other snacks which improved our mood!

That's crab and seaweed I believe.

Our guesthouse tonight was called "Soi 11" and it was very unique.  You can almost walk right by it thinking that it is some sort overgrown garden or a part of Bangkok that the jungle is trying to reclaim.  Upon closer inspection you do see the wooden guesthouse that is oozing with character.  While more expensive than we'd like to pay, it was in a prime location and just trying to navigate its interior was a feat in itself!

It is one of those places where you can write on the walls.  Here is some Canadian pride.
Peter thinks the halls were designed to look like old Bangkok streets... I think they just knocked out what there to join old buildings together. Either way, with secret rooms, rooftop hangouts and a lot of character I'm glad we decided to stay there at least one night. 
This was the view from our room - I can't imagine living above all this chaos all the time.
The next day while waiting for our flight to Chiang Mai we walked around the area that was heavily damaged in the red-shirt protests.  
The building in behind is Central World - which was a high class mall before it burnt.  These are the only signs of the recent trouble that we've seen so far.
And with that sobering thought we were off to Chiang Mai,

About olivercl


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.