Existing Member?

Turkiteece Travel with dear friends in Turkey, then solo in Italy and Greece!

Day Trip = overcoming phobias!

TURKEY | Thursday, 13 September 2007 | Views [498]

Our captain s brother and his seven year old son picked us up today in a tiny boat for a day trip. The boat was tiny because we were headed into a river that meets the sea. I cannot remember the names of the places we saw at the moment, so I will add them in later. First, we went to a great beach on a sand bar. On one side was the sea, and on the other, a freshwater marsh followed by the river. It was really great! The funny thing about travelling like this is that you forget that other tourists are also around. While we were on the beach, a whole bunch of tourists from a cruise ship appeared out of no where and the population went from seven (us) to over a hundred people. It was quite jarring, so we hopped on the boat and headed into the river.

Next we visited some very well preserved ruins. There was a wonderful amphitheater as well as a nearly intact Roman bath. Eric and Jim brought their guitars along and treated us to a few Beatles tunes in the amphitheater.

After cruising around the ruins for a couple hours we shoved off for...MUDBATHS!!! Now, some of you may know about my fear of mudbaths, but for those of you who do not, consider how gross it is to swim in a public pool with kids around who are likely urinating in it and hence on you at any moment. Well, for me, the same theory applies for mudbaths but with a different orifice. I had absolutely no intention of participating in the mudbath experience, but after much ribbing by my travel partners, I decided to go for it. My timing was perfect, because as soon as I jumped in the mud, a little kid was promptly pulled out of the bath for a diaper change! See!!!!

We checked out the little town after bathing in poo, then headed back to Serenity 70. The wind picked up while we were in the middle of the sea and we were treated to an exciting and bouncy ride back.

Tags: The Great Outdoors

About oddgrue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.