Existing Member?

Australia 2011

Day off

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 16 January 2011 | Views [419]

Rottnest Island

Rottnest Island

today i had a day off and i decided to spend it wisely and go to Rottnest island for the day. what a day i chose! it was 37 degrees, so obviously i hired a bike to cycle around the island. even though i started off at 10am, it was soon evident i had not cycled a bike in 10 years and i now have a really sore ass thanks to the most uncomfortable saddle in the world!

the island on the other hand is amazing, ive heard so many people talking about it and its all true, it is green, turquoise and blue waters, with gentle waves lapping onto white sand, small beaches under huge sloping dunes. there is a road around the perameter of the island but i did not see one car on the island, its a nature reserve, there is a shuttle bus that stops regularly so you can get around without a bike but cycling really is the way to go. theres bikes everywhere there. i was a little worried at the start that if i left it at the top of the entrance to a beach that it might disappear but the thing is that, unless someone had a bike to get there, then they wouldnt be there to rob it anyway! i stopped at one beach called parakeet beach i think, it was really beatuiful, lots of yachts and motor boats anchored maybe 20 metres off the beach and ppl just coming in swimming and sunbathing. i went for a swim there, it was so refreshing, then threw my clothes back on and continued my journey!

were going out on a voyage tuesday and i dont think ill be on here tomorrow so after a week at sea with 40 teenagers and the crew im sure ill have plenty of stories! we have been out sailing the last couple of days, day sails around fremantle, we sail out for 3 hours and come back in, with up to 130 passengers, its nice. the only problem is that theres food for the passengers and theres alwyas some left over, ill be fat as a fool soon! im slowly, or not so slowly really, learning the ropes (pardon the pun!) so hopefully ill master the sailing side of the ship too before i leave. ill be climbing and stuff tomorrow so that should be cool.

yesterday on the sail there was an ex merchant navy captain on the sail, he was there to steer the ship, as helmsman, this guy started talking to him and was really amazed that the captain, on his sea travels had visited liverpool, where this man was from! he was so excited that he came over to tell me, not realising where i was from, upon hearing my accent he was extatic altogether! not only had he met an australian who had been to liverpool, he was now talking to an irish woman in australia! and not only that, he had been to cork before too! how unbelievable! then we (as in the work crew, not me and this man!) went out for a quick drink after work and we met this girl from liverpool too, unreal! ah no, he was a nice man but i couldnt get away! i also met an irish couple who had moved here 28 years ago, he was from rochestown road.

im reading bill brysons book 'down under' now, its very good, i like his writing, hes very witty. i bought a lonely planet book the other day too so i must start going through that and see where i want to go. so much possibility! any recommendations let me know! i really want to get the india pacific line from perth to sydney, that would be cool. the only thing is that its very expensive. ill have to see what i can do!

australians are funny in the way that they have developed their own language from english! they use so many abbreviations and slang words that i have to think twice! i cant think of any examples right now but ill write them in when i think of them.

About oconnorclare


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.