Existing Member?

Kate's adventures

Arequipa, Day Two

PERU | Thursday, 11 October 2007 | Views [364]

Arequipa is much more beautiful now that I've slept a whole night...

Walked around pretty much all day. Went down by the Rio Chili, and walked over a bridge that used to be for trains only, designed by Gustave Eiffel. As in tower. Bridge was about 200 feet above the river, with hand rails that came up to about my knees. Yes, Peruvians are short. But friendly for sure. Big smiling people, despite the crazy hardships here.

Went to the llama museum in the morning and it was fabulous. I even fed a llama. No, they don't bite. No teeth on the upper part of their mouths, and only small ones on the bottom. Adorable, though. We met some traditional wool weavers, people who spent months on the same rug or tablecloth.

The weather here is exactly like Albuquerque, although the sun is much brighter, as we are close to the Equator. Ecuador (Equator in English) is the country just north of Peru.

Tomorrow morning we're off to Cuzco, the town where the train to Machu Picchu starts. Not sure what the Internet availability will be like after today.

Cheers,

Kate

Tags: Adventures

 

About nuevomexicana


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.