Existing Member?

Round the World by motorbike for Zambia Orphans

Water for orphans, Zambia

ZAMBIA | Saturday, 14 September 2013 | Views [306]

We started drilling for water on our property in Mukuni Village few days ago.  It is a great feeling to see how fresh water can come from such a depth underground, bursting to the surface. 

We had a difficult time drilling though, our first hole collapsed after 50 m of drilling due to sand erosion.  We lost 25 m when we tried to insert the casing.  Now we are off to a second borehole in harder terrain.  There is plenty of water underground though and therefore at the second attempt we hit water at 27 m and have now drilled to 39 m, giving us a total of 12 m of water at the height of dry season here in Livingstone.  Soon our water tower and tank will be ready to distribute water to our orchard and vineyard as well as for the daily needs.

Of course, being in Africa, everything has to be accompanied by our spectators: lots of children hanging around.  In this case, most of them are orphans.  They not only love hanging around but they desperately need attention and closeness.  It only takes few minutes for them to be fully trusting and friendly.  Once I started playing football with them (see the new photos in our gallery to see the "ball" we used) we became very close friends.

 

Tags: drilling, orphans, water systems

About nomadsportsacademy

Riding by the Makgadikgadi Pans, Botswana

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Zambia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.