Existing Member?

Nomad_vet up the Amazon 'Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission: to be of service to them whenever they require it.' - St Francis of Assisi

Vets Beyonds Borders do a Leopard Caesarian in India

INDIA | Sunday, 4 May 2008 | Views [10781]

Leopard anaethetised for caesarian surgery

Leopard anaethetised for caesarian surgery

The SARAH (Sikkim Anti Rabies & Animal Health) Programme in India usually focuses its attention on cats & dogs but when we were asked for assistance by the Himalayan Zoo veterinarian Dr Madan K.S.Shanker we were eager to help.

‘Julie’ a 5 year old leopard had been in labour for 24 hours & hadn’t produced a cub. Dr Madan was very concerned that she had an obstructive dytocia & asked SARAH staff & Vets Beyond Borders veterinary volunteers to take a look.

Examining a sick leopard is not an easy task & ‘Julie’ required chemical immobilisation via a dart before we could safely handle her. Dr Madan is highly skilled in this procedure & he darted her quickly & efficiently. Clinical examination confirmed that a cub was stuck & that the pelvic canal was too narrow to allow the natural birthing process to be completed. Julie would require caesarian surgery.

Quickly the team leapt into action, ‘Julie’ was anethetised, iv fluids started, & an endotracheal tube was placed into her airway so that anaesthesia could be maintained on the gaseous anaesthetic machine. Volunteer veterinary surgeons began operating & removed the sole cub which was female but sadly deceased.

After surgery ‘Julie’ was wrapped in bubble wrap & placed into her cage with blankets & hot water bottles as Sikkim becomes quite chilly in the afternoon. After a few days she had recovered from the experience & is back to eating several kilograms of meat per day. Soon she will rejoin her fretting mate ‘Tinku’ & maybe next year they will successfully increase their family.

For more information about Vet Beyond Borders & the SARAH project in Sikkim please see: www.vetsbeyondborders.org/vbb.projects/sikkim.project or www.fondationbrigittebardot.fr/site/fbb_a.php?Id=327&IdPere=0

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.