Existing Member?

Nomad_vet up the Amazon 'Not to hurt our humble brethren is our first duty to them, but to stop there is not enough. We have a higher mission: to be of service to them whenever they require it.' - St Francis of Assisi

Rehab in Gangtok

INDIA | Sunday, 4 May 2008 | Views [3564]

Dr Kathryn about to carry me up a very steep hill at the Himalayan Zoo in Gangtok.

Dr Kathryn about to carry me up a very steep hill at the Himalayan Zoo in Gangtok.

It’s a joke now that any veterinary volunteer who comes to help the SARAH (Sikkim Anti Rabies & Animal Health) Programme in Gangtok will also have to volunteer to piggyback me around. Since rupturing my achilles tendon playing cricket 6 weeks ago & deciding it was a good plan to do my rehab in the mountainous state of Sikkim (where every path seems to be a slippery hill), I have been carried, piggybacked & dragged up stairs, driveways & hills. I’ve also taken a couple of tumbles down the same stairs in the most unglorified manner with my 1940’s style wooden crutches clattering to the stairwell.

Quite amusingly I have been photographed by a multitude of Bengali tourists in MG Marg in Gangtok. A novelty to see a foreigner with a lower limb plaster cast & natural curiousity means that I am bombarded with questions. I delight in telling all that cricket was my down fall.

Cricket is synonymous with being Australian given the large number of pensioned aussie cricketers who are now playing in India with the IPL. Even so most locals are a little surprised that aussie women too play cricket, even if badly in my case. My orthopaedic surgeon too confessed that he had never seen a ruptured achilles in a female or actually known of any women to play cricket.

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.