Existing Member?

lovers rock foot around

The 7.8-Magnitude Earthquake

CHINA | Saturday, 17 May 2008 | Views [823]

It is still a bit petrifying when memory flashes back to the early afternoon of May 12th.

I was on the 16th floor of a 19-storey office building located in downtown area of Chengdu city, typical office hour: moving around the room, talking with colleagues, smiling, gesturing and sharing harmless jokes...then all of a sudden the floor started shaking, which in the first few seconds was mistaken as a planned blast as the submway construction has been under way for quite some time. But when the ground I was standing began to move from one side to another in large amplitude I immediately realized this was a major earthquake hitting the city. It is just like that childhood experience when you are swayed in a cradle but surely in a lot more horrible fashion...

The next thing I knew was finding myself among the crowds trying to beat the way downstairs as common sense tells us not to take the elevator during such an emergency. Handbags, high-heeled shoes, garbage cans, etc. were flying all over the stairway and you didn't actually need to walk on your own as there was this big urge from behind you pushing you all the way forward. The ground trembled several times as we rushed down the 16X2 flights of stairs but nobody stopped for we knew any second of hesitation would otherwise result in something really bad.

After landing safe on the ground floor and pulling myself together, I called home to make sure mum and dad were OK, and how grateful I was to know they were. Never thought it would be so much wanted to have parents far away from me in another city for in the past I always believe it's a nice thing to have somebody to look after you no matter how old you are. Then minor aftershocks came with people gathering on the streets looking horrified and in panic.

Only grabing my cell before making a hasty retreat from the office room, I had no choice but to go with one of my colleague to her place, where I stayed for the next two days and two nights. The night of May 12th is still vivid even now. Not sure if there was another tremor or aftershock was in store, my colleague, her husband and I spent the first half of the night with many other people in the streets, discussing about this disaster, or when getting tired of this topic, relaxing ourselves by playing poker. The latter half of the night saw some people give way to the mental fatigue and climb up to their apartments. TV news was running on 24h basis, giving safety instructions to citizens as how to spend their nights indoors. Most people would probably place an empty glass bottle upside down on the verge of their desk or table so that a minor tremor would tip it off and give warnings. I didn't know if many did this but one thing for sure was few of them could have a sound sleep.

The next morning we were back there on the 16th floor, trying to clean up the mess in the office. Then a major aftershock came along and again we retreated. For the first time after the quake I came back to my apartment and found everything was not in its place: computer on the ground, cups tipped over, wardrobe on the bed...I spent the whole afternoon putting together a backpack with all kinds of stuffs that may come in handy and also those important to me: a towel, toothpaste and a brush, underwear, an overcoat, a flashlight, an electronic shaver, a radio, two bank cards, and my Spanish textbook.

Had noodles for dinner at a streetside eatery and then got a call from a colleague of mine, asking how I was going to spend the night. Not knowing where to go, I accepted his offer and joined him in a tent along the riverbank. By the time when I got there, there had already been at least a hundred of tents pitched in the area. The night was uneventful without any scale of tremors or aftershocks. The only thing that I could complain about as a nuisance was the mosquitoes hovering around my head all night long, the only part of my body that stuck out of the sleeping bag.

The rescue efforts entered the fourth day and it is a really really saddening yet moving picture there in the most disaster-striken regions. Thought it was a bit ironic seeing how less we do this come-together-and-help-one-another thing when everything is normal than we tend to do in times of catastrophes, but I guess I was wrong this time. A test like this speaks everything...and sincerely hope this disaster can be over soon and everything will be reestablished, the homes, facilities, schools, and above all, the confidence that everyone is cherishing deep down inside.

Tags: the earthquake on may 12th

 

About nnmsat


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.