Existing Member?

2explore.net We are Niels and Amy van Dongen and this is our journey. Our home site is http://www.2explore.net. On February 16, 2007 we will leave behind the comforts of our home in Seattle to travel through the South Pacific. On this site you can follow along with us, read about our experiences and view some of the photos we have taken en route. Our insatiable urge to explore, sparked the idea for this adventure. In October of 2005, we had a taste of the South Pacific on a 3-week trip to the Cook Islands and have ever since wanted to go back to immerse ourselves in the South Pacific way of life and record our experiences. With many ecosystems at risk from pollution, global warming and climate change, this is now especially critical. We aim to capture the true character of the idyllic South Pacific through photographs and words in a way that makes any observer of our work feel a connection to this special place and in turn, join us in making simple choices in everyday life that can have positive, lasting effects on the world around us. For a year we will be living as modern nomads – traveling only with what we can carry in our packs, living amongst the locals on the islands we visit, spending time sharing stories and experiences and taking in the captivating underwater world on the occasional dive. We hope to help others along the way and keep a vivid record of this adventure to share with you, and keep at the forefront of our memory. Follow along with us and learn about far away places of natural beauty and rich cultures. Experience with us the big world we call home.

DAY 100 A Bright Spot

SAMOA | Wednesday, 30 May 2007 | Views [623]

After crossing paths with the fellow travellers we met on Savaii, who we will now refer to as friends, we headed back to Upolu and on to Lalomanu. It was a very long travel day (taxi, ferry, taxi, taxi) made bearable by sharing the experience (and taxi fares) with them :). We left the resort on Savaii around 10am and arrived in Lalomanu just before dinner was served. Hungry, dead tired, and still sad, we stopped in at Taufua Beach Fales (definitely deserving of a mention!) where we were given our choice of fale and ushered to the communal dining area. Jovial conversation echoed through the room where we found a seat and indulged in some much needed cold beer. The food arrived shorty and just kept coming. As we sat back and took in the food, conversation, and surroundings, we both let out a huge sigh. What a welcome relief! What was intended to be a 2 night stay turned into 7 during which we met the greatest number of well travelled, educated people who had good advice, interesting stories and laughs to share.

During our time in Lalomanu we had lovely weather that was perfect for lounging a bit on the beach and snorkeling (which was great just off of the beach and Niels came across and got a good look at a stonefish - the most venomous fish out there). The owner of the resort took us on a tour of some sights that included the Sogo'aga Waterfall, Togitogiga Waterfall, and the To Sua sea trench. We had a really great time and were well taken care of. So thank you Tai (the owner of the highly recommendable Taufua Beach fales) and thank you to all the travellers we met there who made our stay so great: Craig and Alena, David, Harriett, Will and Alona, Julian and Jacquotte, Doug and Odette, Wim and Riet, Vienna, and Peter!

Tags: People

About niels_and_amy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Samoa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.