Existing Member?

2explore.net We are Niels and Amy van Dongen and this is our journey. Our home site is http://www.2explore.net. On February 16, 2007 we will leave behind the comforts of our home in Seattle to travel through the South Pacific. On this site you can follow along with us, read about our experiences and view some of the photos we have taken en route. Our insatiable urge to explore, sparked the idea for this adventure. In October of 2005, we had a taste of the South Pacific on a 3-week trip to the Cook Islands and have ever since wanted to go back to immerse ourselves in the South Pacific way of life and record our experiences. With many ecosystems at risk from pollution, global warming and climate change, this is now especially critical. We aim to capture the true character of the idyllic South Pacific through photographs and words in a way that makes any observer of our work feel a connection to this special place and in turn, join us in making simple choices in everyday life that can have positive, lasting effects on the world around us. For a year we will be living as modern nomads – traveling only with what we can carry in our packs, living amongst the locals on the islands we visit, spending time sharing stories and experiences and taking in the captivating underwater world on the occasional dive. We hope to help others along the way and keep a vivid record of this adventure to share with you, and keep at the forefront of our memory. Follow along with us and learn about far away places of natural beauty and rich cultures. Experience with us the big world we call home.

DAY 19 Overgrown

COOK ISLANDS | Saturday, 10 March 2007 | Views [457]

Aargh, it's still raining in Rarotonga. The high humidity makes it feel quite stuffy for most of the day. At midday the temperature hovers around 29 degrees Celcius, but luckily it cools down to around 25 degrees at night - a fairly comfortable temperature.


Today, I (Amy was not feeling well) set out to hike one of the trails that go inland, into the Rarotongan rainforests. I thought the rain and humidity would ensure I'd encounter plenty of mosquitoes, so I rubbed every uncovered part of skin with 100% DEET before leaving the bungalow. It seemed to work. A good thing since there have recently been over 900 reported cases of Dengue fever on the island and the number is on the increase (according to the local paper). The mosquito that carries it is active during daylight hours so they are advising everyone to take special care during the day to prevent getting bitten.

The trail head wasn't easy to find, but a little persistence can go a long way and after a few minutes I managed to uncover the marker (literally) for the start of the trail. I selected to hike the Mangatea Bluff trail as it is only about 3 hours round trip, supposedly provides great views over Avarua town and starts within walking distance from where we are staying.
With all the rain that has fallen the last few days, I was prepared for some muddy conditions. What I wasn't prepared for, was the rate at which the jungle can grow here...

Even after 20 minutes of searching and asking some people, I could not locate the second trail marker. My well intended effort ended at the edge of a field of out of control low vegetation in the middle of a muddy pig pit. A stare-down with the resident swine also did not get me any further. A bit disappointed, I had to throw in the towel.

The jungle looks dramatically thick and lush here so I hope Amy and I will have another chance to try to venture out into Rarotonga's inland and explore the cloud forests. First though, we'll have to wait out the rains.

Tags: Adventures

About niels_and_amy


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cook Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.