Existing Member?

Wanderings

Day Three: Sore Feet

FRANCE | Wednesday, 28 November 2007 | Views [957] | Comments [1]

Every time i stagger back to my room at CIEP, inevitably taking the very slow elevator because my feet are aching, i come back to write my journal. The thing is, every single time by the end of the day i have gone through at least 100 different emotions and thought 100 different thoughts that are worthy of putting in my journal. I'm trying to take as many photos as possible to jog my memory, but unfortunately it means i'm going to forget things - but not to worry, i shall tell you all when i remember :P

My first comment is not in chronological order: it's a happy remark. Every time that i catch the metro & bus by myself a guy hits on me. i LOVE french men! they all seem to think i'm gorgeous... and no, bess, it's not just the seedy ones who hit on me. Maybe the french just like hitting on any girl who is alone? Anyway, it's a nice confidence boost, especially when they start talking to me in french and don't guess i'm a foreigner. I've been unfortunate enough to label myself an english-speaker (and thus bad) whenever i order a diet coke at a restaurant, or don't know how to work an EFTPOS machine. Then they'll either give me greasies as i stumble over their words or just speak in english.

Anyway, today's convo went come ca:
"Tu es belle, non?"
"Mais oui!" (i laughed and kept walking
"Au revoir!"
"Au revoir"

Bess, translate for mum to assure her it's not sleazy. I never feel threatened here at all. I was talking to ana about this and she agreed - i honestly feel i have the best deal here in Paris out of all the foreigners. The two main languages in france are french and english. I can perfectly understand french - my aural skills have improved greatly! - and i can ask questions and get my point across well. I can read everything fluently - so i can't get lost, or disobey a sign, or anything like that, because i understand all of their printed words! It's seriously the best... i imagine being in a city where you don't speak the language is stressful, or at least slightly nerve-wracking. I go on public transport with complete confidence - i know exactly what the signs are saying, and if i do get lost (which is unlikely) i can ask at information, and i can understand them - i'm not dependent on the chance that they all speak english! how good is that?

And yes, mum, i have been catching public transport by myself. At the end of each day in paris, sylvia says 'ok, you can either go home with me or you can do whatever you want, as long as you're home by the class tonight.' Yesterday, the others stopped over at the supermarket (there's one right next to the Sevres Metro Station) - i was feeling a bit travel sick and was so tired i caught the bus from the station to CIEP by myself instead of waiting. I forgot the number of the bus we're meant to catch - no problems, i read the map and instructions. Today, me, emma, jessie and amanda went back to the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa and Greek/Roman collections - Amanda went home early, Emma wanted to stay for longer, and Jessie went on the first train with me but i got off to catch the Pont De Sevres line at station Franklin D Roosevelt to go home while she continued on that line to go to La Fayette (like David Jones or Myer). It's great! and i don't feel unsafe at all - the french, as long as i don't open my mouth, think i'm french, it's all very casual, there are heaps of people and it's comfortable. But don't worry too much mum - i always keep my bag very close to me, and my mobile in my hand. It is safe. I promise you.

ok. so what happened today?

  • Sylvia Abandoning me & nan at CIEP
  • Le Louvre
  • Lunch
  • walls of Paris
  • Le Louvre
  • Supermarket
  • Home
  • Class
  • Later: a Class

How thorough am i!

Ok, so in the morning at breakfast (7.30) Sylvia announced that she wanted us at reception at 8am, not the planned 8.30. We had NO time for breakfast. So i rushed around - called mum briefly on Skype - and got down there in time. Waiting. Waiting. Waiting. Sylvia wasn't there, and i realised that i'd forgotten to put the sign on my door asking the maid not to clean (i really don't think it's necessary to get new bedsheets and towels every day) so since Sylvia wasn't there yet i rushed up to change my sign. I met an up there (she was running VERY late) but by the time we got down there they had all gone! we rushed out of CIEP, presuming they'd left without us. When we got to the bustop we were unsure - surely they couldn't have been so far ahead of us that they also got a bus before us? Maybe they were just in another room at CIEP? We messaged and tried to call Sylvia - but no answer, so we decided to wait at the bus stop until given further instructions - they could be looking for us! Sylvia replied about 20 minutes later telling us to meet her at the Accueil de Groupes (where groups meet) at the Louvre. An n i caught the bus, then the metro, got off at the right stop - yey. Anyway, at the Louvre metro station (Palais Royal - Musée de Louvre) there are about 5 exits from the train up to the ground level. An and i followed everyone else up - it took you right outside the Louvre. Thing is, apparently there was one that took you right inside the Louvre. SYLVIA DID NOT TELL US THIS. Anyway, the guard refused to let us in the group entrance because we didn't have any documentation, and they don't keep records of which group has gone in. Again an and i wonder - this is the only group entrance we can find, and the guard doesn't remember anyone named Sylvia or any Australians coming in. Sylvia didn't say in her message that they were ahead of us - maybe we should wait? Stuck, because we didn't want to go through the individual entrance and pay exorbitant amounts to go in the Louvre, an and i waiting about 30 mins. I was ropeable - we are NEW in paris - this is our third day! What kind of irresponsible idiot would leave without her students, and then not contact us! for the 30 minutes we waited an and i kept on trying to call her - she never answered her phone. Again, what kind of dickhead... she KNEW we weren't there. I found out later several people mentioned we were missing. Why didn't she even call us? Ridiculous.

Anyway, eventually Sylvia answered her phone, and an is right - she was perfectly nice about it. She didn't blame us for being late - although i couldn't help convey in my tone of shaking anger that she could have at least tried to contact her missing students. grrrr!!!

So, the Louvre.. Well, once I’m a billionaire, I am going to buy it. OH MY F*CKING GOD! I found out later it was the main Palace of most of the French kings... it is so huge, so elaborate, the ceilings are incredibly high, and a lot of the original paintings on the ceiling and decorations are still there. There are so many wings and sections.. originally only one part of the Louvre was a museum (Napoleon temporarily named it "La musée de Napoleon") but now the whole thing is a museum... wow.

We did two rooms absolutely thoroughly. They were from the 19th Century - paintings about the main revolutions they had, paintings commissioned by Napo 1 (as I have come to call Napoleon 1) etc. Some of them we have studied in Art History - very cool to see them in real life, but again Sylvia's method of teaching is flawed - more on that later.

I took as many photos of myself in front of paintings – I did take some of paintings, but in all reality the photos you can buy are much better – photos are better when they show that I saw this painting in real life!

We stopped then for a café at one of the maybe 10 different cafés in the Louvre.. there are so many! I had strawberry juice.. yes there is such a thing, and I love it.

After that, we went to Les Appartements de Napoleon III. The name is deceiving – they’re not his apartments. His half-brother le Duc actually lived in them – but Napo III hosted many events in them. Some are in the style of Napo I – amazing. I took heaps of photos but then they can’t explain it.. I bought a book on the apartments for 10 euro. You see, like I said before, the Louvre was a castle. By the time of Napo III, most of it was a museum, but that section was still used by the aristocracy – and Napo III gave it to his half-brother to live in. It is preserved exactly how it was in those times. I am completely in love, and want to be the Duc’s wife (he was a lecherous, faithless adulterer so maybe I’ll have to settle for mistress). The majesty of the rooms, the space, the decorations, the ridiculously high ceilings… wow. There was also a throne with an “N” on it. That stands of Nicola – I’m meant to sit on the throne. Be Emperor of France.

After that (without seeing anything other than those two sections) we went for lunch. I got a yummy mini-baguette with chicken and salad (as well as my strawberry water – see below). Then we caught the Metro to the Rue de Rivoli to see where Napo III made a boulevard by moving the Egyptian-theme fountain of Napo I across the road, and talking about the water problems in France (they polluted the Seine so badly it was worse than the Yarra river… and it was their only source of water!). Then we went to La Porte de Saint-Denis and it’s pair. Once upon a time, Paris had walls around it to enable it to fight off any invading armies (Louis XIV). Eventually they were dismantled – the king who dismantled them (forgot his name) left the two stone gates that enabled access into the city in place. I’ve forgotten the name of the Quartier, but it was interesting just for another side of Paris.

You see, Sylvia wanted to show us the first ever covered-shopping area in Paris. It was la rue de la coeur, in the same quartier as the big gates, but Sylvia got a bit lost getting there. Always brings faith that your teacher who goes to Paris twice every year gets lost. Anyway, a drunken French guy starts singing and swearing at us – in French. Ana starts pissing herself laughing at him – so do a few others. He gets more angry – tells us all to fuck off, gives us the finger etc. He wouldn’t have caused us any harm – there were 23 of us, and only 1 of him – but still, interesting.

The streets in the quartier are so tiny and narrow… they wind, and don’t go straight at all. You can tell that it was a section that was neglected by the city planners who made the Parisian streets more sensible in the 19th century. Those streets truly developed by chance.

So once we’d seen la rue de la coeur, Sylvia said “go where you want” – Amanda, Jessie, Emma and I wanted to go back to the Louvre – we had access all day because of our group ticket, and didn’t want to have to pay to come back another day. On the way to the metro we walked down a very “special” street – seven prostitutes, just leaning against the walls of the shops. Previously I’d thought I like this area – all the shops were like the cheap ones at highpoint – cheap clothes in Paris, yey! The actual buildings and the like aren’t too dirty, and the winding cobbled streets are quite cute. It started off with an old woman with high-ish, old jeans and a crop-top, to more old women getting progressively skankier (with the exception of one that was dressed really classy) and the end one – WHOA. She wasn’t wearing a top per se… she was wearing fish nets over her DD sized boobs. An n I agreed – it’s so sad that these people have to resort to selling their bodies for money. At that age, the argument for “freedom of choice to be a prostitute” falls flat on its back.

Then Amanda, Jess, Emma and I went to the Louvre again. We saw the Mona Lisa – what a disappointment! It’s quite funny – it’s on a huge wall, and this tiny little painting with heaps of tourists surrounding it and cameras flashing, major security… in comparison with the other paintings on the other walls, it really didn’t seem that important. But we saw it – and I got a photo. We then went to the Graeco-Roman section – a lot of pots and broken tiny artefacts, some cool statues, and also the Venus de Milo (photo opp!).

Then we went home, and I caught the metro, bought some more strawberry water (again, see below), guy hit on me, and here I am, in my room, eating Wether’s Originals.

General Comments:

The alchohol here is wonderful. Not the wine or champagne – just as expensive, if not more, than in Australia. But the spirits are DIRT CHEAP! Whoo! An and I bought a fruit-flavoured liquor for 9 euro! Yes! There was also vodka for 6 euro… you get my drift. They have the midest range of flaours and types, also a HUGE range of weird soft drink flavours.. very nice. But that’s not the best thing about French drinks. You see, the water here tastes like shit – filtered water, bottled water, water from the tap – all very disgusting (Jessie and an reckon it’s got too much chlorine – I’m not sure, all I know is I can’t drink it). But then I need to drink a lot of water – I get dehydrated easily. Last night, I tried this stuff called “Volvic Fraise” – strawberry flavoured water. I am addicted. I cannot live without my Volvic. I have 3 1L bottles in my room at the moment. They will be gone by tomorrow night. Three of them only cost 1.90 euro as well! Heaven on earth. I’m going to miss Paris just for the Volvic, if not anything else.

I really think instead of trying to teach us detailed history lessons on site (where it is noisy, full of people, a lot of traffic etc) Sylvia should give us a history lesson the night before we go out, so then when we go out she can just remind us – this is the painting depicting this story – and that way we can really appreciate the place we’re at – for example, she didn’t even show us the Mona Lisa! It’s very much in – show the stuff relevant to the course – out with her, which really doesn’t allow you to absorb the character of the place

Jed:
Mum, dad and bess: you need to send me photos of jed. I will die otherwise. Also please remember to book him a vaccine appointment - he needs it sometime this weekend. It will cost 37.5, and call Maribyrnong vet to make an appointment: 9318 3349

Post Scriptum:
Some girls who were with Sylvia at the time we were messaging her said she ignored our messages.

Tags: Food & eating

Comments

1

Did you see my comment under this shot in your folio? Anyway, I dont have your email but will get it tonight and send photos of your boy. Will book him in for shots this W/E. He is a happy munching bunny! L, D.

  Peter Drakeford Nov 29, 2007 10:59 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.