Existing Member?

Nicola and Liams Adventure

Day 91 & 92

MALAYSIA | Tuesday, 18 December 2012 | Views [155]

Monday 17th
Today was our travel day from koh lanta to langkawi. I felt quite sad leaving despite the weather not being great because I liked the hotel and I liked the feel of the place. I think we're beginning to look forward to somewhere a bit more permanent to stay. We're enjoying it still but it's beginning to get very tiring.
We got picked up at 7.15am and drove for a short while, perhaps half an hour before stopping off at a drop off point. None of the transport here seems to be able to just take you somewhere it's all changes and drop offs. Anyway we waited for about 20 minutes and transferred to another mini van. It was slightly less crowded than the last one and we then stayed on it until we got to the ferry about 1 and a half hours later. I slept most of the way which is strange as its usually Liam who does that.
After faffing around with tickets and stuff for a while we transferred to the ferry. The ferry was a bit grim and we immediately took our travel sickness tablets in preparation for the 45 minute journey (that actually took an hour). I slept the whole way, I think Liam napped a little.
We arrived at the port, had a little panic over none of the cards working to withdraw money and were just about to walk 20 minutes with the bags to the next ATM before we managed to withdraw some, phew! Caught a taxi which took half an hour to get to the guest house, it's a very big island. After settling in to our hotel, which is very basic but enough for what we need, we ventured out and went to see what the beach was like. Very nice! Lovely sand and sea still warm, lots of water sports going on in the distance. We treated ourselves to fresh sea food for tea as well before heading to bed early due to me feeling unwell with a headache and Liam being tired.

Tuesday 18th

Liam let me sleep in again this morning and I was woken at 10.30, it's odd for him to wake up before me at all let alone me sleep so deeply until that late. We decided to go to the shop and buy a few odd bits to snack on for breakfast/lunch on the beach. After sun creaming up in the shade we noticed how many loungers were around but it was fairly obvious it was just for the people staying at the hotel. So we went over to the little beach bar and Liam used his charm to reach an agreement that if he bought 2 drinks we could use them. Little did we know the drinks cost 3 times as much as where we normally get them but I suppose we were paying for the loungers as well so couldn't complain too much.
After poor Liam dragging them across the sand to our chosen spot, and me trying to help at one point point catching my toe peeling the skin off, we settled down for the day.
We did what we normally do on a beach day which is try to relax, cover our heads with something and try not to get burned.
Towards the end of the afternoon there was a girl in the water doing an awful lot of splashing around, then started to shout help. Nobody moved to do anything but Liam was up and away, running down to the sea, diving in and swimming over to bring her to shore. After sitting with her for a while and giving her some water which I took down for them he made his way back up. He initially was questioning how real it was and wondering if it was an experiment or tv show, trying to look for cameras! He had swam over and realised he could touch the floor and if she had tried to she could have stood up. He eventually concluded that it must have been real because she was too worked up for it not to have been. I'm glad he got chance to do a save because he's forever keeping watch as though he's being paid to be a lifeguard wherever we go.
We stayed on the beach well into early evening before going to shower and doing the usual routine of heading out for food etc. We watched the new Snow White on his iPad when we got in, which I really like but he had something negative to day every 10 minutes and didnt enjoy it very much.

 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.