Existing Member?

Nicola and Liams Adventure

Day 29 and 30

NEPAL | Tuesday, 16 October 2012 | Views [225]

Tuesday 16th
After having breakfast of pancakes and toast we headed off for the bus journey back to Kathmandu. The journey took a very long time, about 6 hours. It would have taken about 2 in England but the roads are in such a bad state and the vehicles are so old that it just takes a lot longer here. It was a generally comfortable ride and passed by without much to say about it really. We met Surita at the other end and wandered back to the hotel, meeting phil and a few of the others on the way. Phil took a look at all our photos, apparently we've got the best look at the wildlife so far and got closer to things than the other volunteers who have been which is nice to know! We managed to have an actual HOT shower today, it was heaven. We then went for food, we had the best momo yet of spinach and cheese. We tried to order chips again but no matter where we try to order it never seems to come, and because everything comes out in slow stages it's the end of everyone's food before you realise it's not even been started yet. So yet again we cancelled the order which I'm pretty sure they forgot anyway :( 
Because of the chips fiasco we decided we'd all go great ourselves at the little bakery, we each got a slice of cake and then teddy the American who I'm pretty sure is an alcoholic wanted to play drinking games. Despite being very reluctant I was made to buy a bottle of beer with Liam and denied some 7up to go with it. On the way to get the beer Liam was accosted by a small boy wanting money, he was grabbing hold of his shirt then his arm. He ended up literally hanging off his arm and we couldn't get him off. We saw one of the officials at the side of the road so Liam marched over with the boy still hanging there and the police had to prize him off! 
When we got back we played ring of fire, it was pretty fun and we all had a laugh but by half the bottle I was ready to stop as I didn't want to get drunk and I don't even like beer. Liam really enjoyed himself, so much so that when his bottle was finished he wanted to buy more. So him and teddy went to buy more plus a small bottle of whiskey for the 2 other girls. I was forced to have a shot of whiskey in my glass and play along for another round, which I did because it was fun...although I was looking forward to bed. Despite me saying a couple of times even before we started that Liam doesn't do drunk very well, they all seemed to think I was just being overbearing so when the game finished and Liam wanted to go out to a club I couldn't really warn him off it for fear of more remarks by people! So off he went with teddy, the girls went to their rooms and I busied myself talking to Jennifer, Shelley and lizzie on Facebook chat which was very nice. 2 hours later Liam returned home....and proceeded to be sick for an hour straight. I was a bit annoyed but mostly i found it quite amusing and liked to think of it as karma for him going out to clubs without me in a strange country. Hate to say I told you so......


The next morning Liam seemed ok, he should have been after puking as much as he did! He didn't want the others to know he'd been unwell so as far as they all know everything is hunky dory and my concerns over him drinking were just me being a control freak! Unfortunately today I havnt been so good, been having to stay very close to a toilet all day and I'm full of cold. My body has been batting it for the last couple of weeks but it's finally forced its way out. Liam went to the office to work on the website and I packed some bags and generally got sorted for our onward flight tomorrow. I fell asleep a few times and just tried to relax whilst using up our supply of tissues by mopping up leaks from both ends all day! After about an hour of safe movement around the room and no sprints to the bathroom I dared to venture out, looking through the shops and getting an idea of how low merchants are willing to go with certain products. I bought a few things to top up our supplies, and after a couple of hours walked very quickly and with very tight butt cheeks to the hotel before something terrible happened on the streets of Kathmandu. 
Despite my anxieties about going out this evening, Liam and I went out for food with the group due to it being our last night. We went to a Korean restaurant which was kind of weird. The service was good but the food itself was just odd in its tastes. Liam spoke to raj about the website all evening and the rest of us just chatted away. A final trip to the bakery for a slice of cake ( because the chips failed to arrive again), and we all said our farewells to each other.  Meeting at 6.45am in the morning for our flight so we're both getting some kip now. Next time I update we will be in Bangkok! 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.