Existing Member?

islands in the sun

Handsome, the hornbill, and the pocket watch

MALAYSIA | Monday, 4 October 2010 | Views [1016]

handsome, the hornbill in KL's bird park

handsome, the hornbill in KL's bird park

 

Hop on hop off bus

 

Thank goodness I happen to wander across the road to the starbucks, order and outrageously

Expensive coffee and sit and a table staring at the road, wondering what to do. The answer literally drove right past me. A bus, with big pictures on the side of happy smiling tourists, cameras flashing and the sign 'hop on, hop off'

 

Went to the travel agent nearby and booked a 24 hour ticket and half an hour later, I was sitting on the bus. Ok so its not as organised as the London one, the head phones not working and no open seating section, but it was still the best possible way to see the city and super cheap! I'd already decided to leave the PETRONAS towers for the next day, so what I wanted to see according to the may was the worlds largest walk around aviary in the bird park , and the butterfly park because I knew there had to be some wild and wonderful species. The bird park was fantastic. I spent 2 hours in there with big storks swooping literally over your head and little cattle-less eegrits, that seemed completely lost without any cows bums to pick. Massive hornbills where kept in cages and I did wonder why they didn’t let them fly around. Perhaps its due to their penchant for digging through things ( I saw too smaller variety birds making a jail break from their cages by making a perfect whole through the concrete bottom . .) the large ones were huge. Must have been at least 50 or 60 centimeters standing upright. I know because I had one sitting on my knee! There was a place that you could take photos with the birds and without telling me too much the told me to sit and then started bring various sleepy and well trained birds towards me. Not small ones, huge hornbills and cockatoos, and brightly colored macaws. The lifted my arms and plonked the parrots down onto my lower arms whilst I tried to suspend the birds in mid air. 2 on my legs, another 2 on my shoulders and a million photos later, I was laughing so much that the birds must have thought I was nuts.  The little hawk on my right shoulder kept trying to hide behind my ear it was so cute! And the dancing sleepy owls that were perched on the trees around me. I could've sat and played with these trained birds all day!

 

Then there was a bird show and I gotta say, the macaws are vey intelligent, remembering different shapes, colours, even counting and using a bell to tell the count! They had a great big pelican walk across the stage too hehe.

 

Walking trough another part with little bright green and red parakeets. There was a donation box which I put money in naturally, but was then suddenly given a small plastic glass of what was maybe milk and then within seconds I had about 20 parakeets swooping down on me, hanging onto my fingers arms and shoulders with their sharp little claws, all trying to get a drink of this stuff.

 

Some hung around waiting for their turn, even when it was  all  gone and then they all just sat in a line on the fence, waiting for the next round I guess!

 

Was a lovely day out. I couldv'e spent the whole day there. The butterfly park was also lovely and interesting and even more so because they had tanks of all the weird varieties of turtles and frogs they get around there too. And another room was filled with a massive insect collection of indonesia and malaysia and it was really fantastic!!!

 

I used the ticket the next day too to get to the towers and I spent the whole day in the shopping centre at the bottom of it.

About niclaf

temple hopping

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.