Existing Member?

islands in the sun

khao san. you hate to love it

THAILAND | Saturday, 17 April 2010 | Views [247]

fullmoon dragon

fullmoon dragon

oh khao san, there is nothing like you in the world!

hehe

when i arrived very inceremoniously tossed out a taxi from the airport, at some time of night and thrust into the bright lights, sounds, smells and chaos that is khao san road, i immediately started laughing.

even though my heavy bag was killing me, i strolled down the street, bustling with people from all over the world, dressed in every hippie back packer style that can be imagined, street sellers, jugglers, drunk people, dancing people, pumping music, sizzling noodles, tattoos, just.

i describe it in such a way cause thats how it hit my senses. all at once. unrelenting. and making me want to strip off naked, take any drug possible, dance in the street, get a million tattoos and to go find 'the beach'

ok i didnt do any of that alas, but thats the feeling it gives you. like you could wonder down the street completely stark naked, and instead of people staring, you'd probably start a trend and have 10 other mental people walking behind you also naked.

anything goes and you definitely see the different stage of packpacker. the weary, sweaty ones looking into the street shops. then there are the ones in thai pants, harlem pants, alladin pants. they've been travelling a bit and know whats comfortable but unfortunaley nothing is a bigger 'oh i've been to thailand' label.

then theres the cloth bags, dreadlocks, tie-dye, tattood and pierced people.  They've been travelling then more than just a little while and you'll see them picking their favourite foods amongst the street stalls. (incidentally, you wont find a better pad thai ANYWHERE!)

after that, its the people that i think have been there too long. men walking bare chested in only a sarong with loads of tattoos and hair that has been washed since the dark ages. women who are bra-less, senseless, brainless and have a very glazed over look. and none of these wear shoes.

then there are lady boys, beautiful girls, drunk fat men, old people, naive european gap years, everybody!!

then throw in some lights, music and smells from every place you look, stir it together, put it in a blender, add some salt, chuck it in the middle of a smelly city and hey presto!!

KHAO SAN ROAD

how i love you!!

 

About niclaf

temple hopping

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.