Existing Member?

Travel Photography Scholarship 2008 - The Winner Tells All!

Day 6 - Homeward Bound...

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 25 August 2008 | Views [765]

We got up just before noon, with no real plans for the day other than to drive to Longreach. This meant we could take our sweet time and take the scenic drive on Muttaburra Road, a 325km drive on dirt road through the middle of nowhere. It was only fair that I drive, as Jason did the long drive up on day one.

I was given’er pretty good when I crested the hill and plowed through an outcropping of grapefruit sized granite rocks on the backslope. “Please only have one flat tire! Please only have one flat tire!” was my first train of thought as I skidded to a stop. After all, we had just driven for 2 hours, and had another 2 hours to go, with not a single form of life in sight. Thank god it was only the front left tire that blew out. We were pretty quick with the swap, but as we lowered the jack the full size spare also lowered. Turns out the rental company failed to notice that the spare only had about 10psi when they gave us the damn car. Great. The upside of doing 30km/h for 200km through the outback is that you see things you otherwise wouldn’t, and you’re quiet enough that sleeping animals next to the road don’t even hear you coming!
We did 30km/h for several hours before we reached the 200-person town of Muttaburra. We topped up our tires, fueltank and cupholders and booked it (a little slower) to Longreach. We got in fairly late, though not too late to grab a bite at the pub. Our flight back to Brisbane is at 2:30pm tomorrow, so we figure we’ll sleep in and spend the morning packing our way around bite-size domestic airline luggage restrictions. Off to bed, it’s been a long day.

About nelson-mouellic


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.