Existing Member?

Gringotenango

Day 18 (Dena)

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 28 June 2011 | Views [459]

The rain finally stopped!! We've been getting a little stir crazy having to stay indoors, but when we saw a sliver of blue sky this morning we set out on a hike. We went back to Casa del Mundo to hire a guide. We'd read that the trail we wanted to do was one of the most beautiful, but also a bit dangerous due to the prevalence of machete bearing thieves. If you go with Mayan guide, however, you're supposed to be  safe since they know everyone along the way.

And of course we were. 

Nels and I have read much about the dangers of traveling here, but so far we've seen nothing but kind people eager to help. (I'm still not going to take my chances exploring Guatemala City!)

The hike was amazing. It was 2+ hours long and the trail meandered through jungle forest, and then through corn and coffee fields; there was rugged climbing up dry waterfalls, and flatter parts with stunning views of the lake and volcanoes. And we walked through small villages where there were no cars or even (it seemed) running water or electricity.

We walked from Jaibolito to San Marcus, had lunch (or at least the boys did--we didn't bring much money in case of thieves), and then came back on the lancha.  Now we're home chillin'. 

I took a shower despite my fear of this enormous moth living in the bathroom. It woke me up last night banging around in there. I thought it was a bat, but it was only a moth that happened to be the size of a small bat. It sleeps up in the corner of the ceiling and I guess it must sleep all day. 

Still scary.

About nelsjohnson


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.