Existing Member?

Sugar, Spice and Everything Nice!

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [135] | Scholarship Entry

The most startling and characteristic feature of Gujarati food is an unexpected tinge of sweetness. Be it khakra, fafda, thepla, khaman, or any number of packaged snacks, they all have to have a dash of sugar in them. Even the pale yellow Rajwadi kadi is not spared. The cuisine can be succinctly described as the Powerpuff girls diet with sugar, spice and everything nice put in, not to create adorable kindergartners/superheroes but one of the most deliciously intriguing flavours in the world. The food serves as an exceedingly appropriate parallel for the general population of Vadodara, Gujarat. However tired or put off or sleepy or mutinous in a mood you catch them, they will invariably be kind to you. Food is the primary industry of the state and is well reflected in the ubiquitous paunch among the men folk, generously-proportioned ladies and the ever occupied roadside thelas and establishments. Primarily vegetarian owing to the hot climactic conditions, the cuisine is rich in oil and spice but it does not overwhelm the platter.
The importance of food in Gujarat can be grasped from the fact that it serves symbolic functions outside the kitchen. The engagement ceremony Gol Dhana literally means ‘jaggery and coriander seeds.’ Panchamrut, a liquid composed of milk, yoghurt, ghee, honey and spices like turmeric powder play an important role in the wedding ceremony. Food, it would seem, pervades every aspect of life here. Even the bright colours associated with dandiya and garba festivities are reminiscent of the classic Gujarati thaali which comprises of one type of pulse, two vegetable dishes like undhiyo or a potato preparation, chappati or tiny puris, crisp papad, pickles, rice and chutney. Sweet dish in the form of luscious gulaab jamun or shrikund provide a glorious end to the meal. The prosperity of the business capital of India is very well reflected in its generous cuisine. Food in Vadodara is one big party and everyone is invited!

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About neha09


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.