Existing Member?

Nina goes travelling...

The adventures of Loas...

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 8 March 2009 | Views [543] | Comments [6]

Its been a while since I last wrote, Chiang Mai seems a long time ago now. So I left Chiang Mai and decided to get the speed boat along the mykong river which was supposed to be quite dangerous with below the surface rocks in shallow water. It took 6 hours and apart from being noisy, it was quite comfortable (despite the bumps) as we sped through the water. Arrived in Loas and managed to get great accommodation for 8USD, so nice to get a powerful shower! Spent the evening at the night market with some people I'd also taken the speed boat with. The next day was hot and busy.. visited the museum, temple (2 standard places in every city it seems!), bamboo bridge and sunset from the top of a temple. Met a couple of guys from London along the way in the afternoon and had lunch togther. In the evening we went to a bar and then onto a bowling alley that was open till the early hours of the morning. Great fun though my bowling skills clearly still havent improved over the years! The next day another long coach journey to Vang Vieng. Bus drivers are crazy here and think you are safe to go round a bend full speed if you blaze the horn! Managed to get there in one piece and found a lovely guest house for 1 night only but overlooking beautiful gardens. Really nice family too, so far I have found the people from Loas to be more friendly than Thai. Yesterday was great... went tubing along the river and swam from bar to bar, drinking, music, etc. Also attempted to take the swing and then jump into the river... ouch! I somehow landed sideways and my leg is now paying for it now. So then we crossed again to the next bar where there was also a mud bath.. so we (another couple and myself) thought ok, cool looks fun. I didnt expect a random guy to push me head first into the water!! Mud all over me, my hair, eyes, mouth.. not a pretty sight! Anyway so I took the coach from Vang Vieng to Vientiene today and deliberated between a 24 hour bus for 20USD or a 1 hr flight for 120USD. I had to pick the flight, buses here are painful.. I'll leave for the airport shortly so the next update from me will be from Vietnam! Hope all is well.

Comments

1

Hello Nina,
It was good to speak to you yesterday and am glad that you are having lovely time. I know you are always happy as far as you get the sun and the water. Good Massage and Mud Bath all reminds me of our holiday in Turkey. Swimming in the river must be good. Hope your leg is better now.Devina and Sudhesh are with us this weekend but we are missing you Nina. Cannot believe 2 weeks have gone since you left uk. Nothing exciting at this end. We are all fine and waiting for the warmer weather. Hope you have a safe flight and have a good time in Vietnam. Speak to you soon.
love
mummy
Hi Nina, It's Daddy here!
Enjoying reading your exciting adventures! Really roughing it out and meeting new set of people! Fancy getting into the mud bath withthe head down! That wasn't fair! Glad you have decided to to fly to Vietnam rather than taking a bumpy bus ride with a crazy driver! Vietnam evokes memories of '60s of the long drawn out war between the Communists in the North Vietnam and South Vietnam supported by the Americans!
It was a tragic war with horrifying pictures beamed across on TV to the rest of the world! Americans even used napalm bombs in which innocent children and civillians got killed! So it is a country with a very tragic history but very interesting to visit.
Hope you have a good time there with Millie. She seems a really nice girl. We are missing you and always eager to hear from you. Take care. Lots of love.
Daddy

  Mummy and Daddy Mar 8, 2009 9:27 PM

2

Hello hello. Me again. Thank you for the wake up call this morning :p glad you took the flight and as usual needed little ben input and assurance that it was the right thing to do. You are a funny big ben!

Anyway we are all ok here. As mum said, nothing exciting. We are about to eat a late breakfast.

Have fun in Vietnam - i've seen all your pictures :) Looks like it so beautiful and untouched out there. i saw your hut with the garden view, how pretty. Anyway i better go and eat. I look forward to more updates. keep them comin'!!

Lots and lots of love, me xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Devina - little ben Mar 8, 2009 10:28 PM

3

Hi Chica
all sounds like great fun. I' m messaging you from Dar-es-salaam...ive' spent the day wondering around town speaking to people about how business is going,migrants from zimbabwe, local stall holders etc and planning for tuesday's show. you'd love it, im tthinking of broadcasting from a local beachfront bar! great to be messaging eachother from the other side of the world!
keep having fun and take good care.x

  krupa Mar 9, 2009 4:32 AM

4

living vicariously through your journal updates and reliving my memories of south east asia. Hanoi is absolutely amazing - you'll really enjoy it!

Don't forget to play "Frogger" as you dodge the billions of motorcycles!

  Neeral Morzaria Mar 9, 2009 4:32 AM

5


Sounds like your having a cracking time. All I can say at this moment is enjoy.

The weather in London is 36 degree Celsius, its a heat wave again this week Nina, and today is Bank Holiday Monday. (New holiday Gordon Brown has squeezed in to recognize the credit crunch)

Otherwise on that silly note, stay safe and keep us posted on your adventure. The blog is good.

Ram

  Ram Mar 9, 2009 10:32 PM

6

Hi Boinger ... we are really enjoying the updates to your adventures.... you are sooooooooo brave.

Emily has now had her first night out in London (although only for an hour and a half). The 3 of us went to Harriets engagement party. I had one glass of champagne and was all giggly. You know me, doesnt take much at the best of times.

Cant wait to hear more xxxxx

  Lauren and Emily Mar 20, 2009 4:00 AM

About nchande


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.