Existing Member?

Remarkable Moments on Earth

Under the Grand Glass Pyramid

FRANCE | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [254] | Scholarship Entry

The cool but pleasant autumn night greeted us at 7 PM, as we stepped outside the Palais Royal – Musee du Louvre station. Several footsteps took us to the marble courtyard leading to the infamous Glass Pyramid that serves as the entrance to the legendary palace where thousands of world art masterpieces call home. The linier solid metal lines marching in adjacent in the entire pyramid surface, in between millions of symmetrical two-dimensional rhombus-shaped glass, creating an intricate abstract view, resembling a 3-dimensional cubism painting. Hundreds of golden lights danced along as we entered the lobby inside the pyramid, shining through like a big pyramidal crystal lantern under the sky, spectacularly reflected by mini fountains surrounding the pyramid.
After several hours journey in its galleries, the museum closing time arrived, forcing us to hurry exit to the lobby. Suddenly, approached a middle-aged security guard, asking in thick French accent, “Madam, please follow me, this way is easier for your baby,” then he guided us to the centre of the pyramid, into a circular metal landing surrounded by short glass panel as its partition, standing encased amid the spiral staircase.
Once we were near, the glass partition glide open, leading to a metal platform functioning as open-topped hydraulic elevator with no roofs and no walls. He pushed the button to close the gate, once we stepped inside. Like a small spaceship from the future, the platform slide upward amid the people walking around; left the ground, as if leaving behind the history and the past life, back into the modern era, smoothly and silently going all the way up to the glass sky above. There was nobody else who had received such privilege but us, that night.
“Where are you from?” he asked, smiling, his fatherly eyes behind glasses. “Indonesie”, I answered. “Ahh, my daughter in law is also from Asia,” he said. I smiled. The short tour ended; an automatic slide-out walkway bridging the elevator grounds and the exit way greeted us at the top. “Thank you, thank you very much,” we said. He just nodded, grinning even wider and waved goodbye.
As we walked outside to the bright starry Paris night, our hearts were engulfed by cocoons of warmth radiated from Louvre’s royal beauty and hospitality. The breathtakingly beautiful Louvre soared and painted our hearts from within, like the way Da Vinci had painted Mona Lisa. Thus the day I would never forget, in the place where I could spend my eternity.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About naturewarrior


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.