Existing Member?

Just drifting by

NYC

CANADA | Saturday, 10 May 2008 | Views [822]

The most beautiful city in the World !!! At least  some people say so. I am not quite sure about that. It’s a cool city yes, a huge city yes, an impressive city yes and you can do what ever you want to do there yes. And it’s such a noisy city !! YES!

We would stay at Paul’s. I met him a year ago in Berlin while he was travelling. He was so kind to let us stay for 5 nights (at first we though to stay 4 nights but after a night there we decided the three of us that it would be too short!).

We would stay in Brooklyn, directly on 4th Avenue. It was pretty warm and at night we would keep the window open. Sometimes the cars were so noisy that you had the feeling the would just stop next to your bed.

The first evening Paul would make a little walk through Brooklyn with us. A quite nice area but as it seems Brooklyn has different kind of areas. I’ve read somewhere that if Brooklyn was an independent city it would be the 4th biggest city in the States… Hard to believe.

However, the next days we made our way to downtown Manhattan but took the subway straight from the beginning in the wrong direction… I would say that I have a pretty good sense of orientation and that subway maps are not really complicated but NYC should me that it can be tricky. Anyways the weekend we were there half of the lines were under construction and would have some deviations…

So day one, Friday 25th, a long walk through Greenwich Village, Soho, Chinatown (which is really huge!! As it seems they even have separate schools with only Asians), down to the Pier close to Brooklyn Bridge.

After that a relaxing night at home making diner and watching a movie with Paul

Day two we walked up pretty early as we wanted to be at 10am and some hostel and some “famous” guy called Jerry who is around 70 something or so makes a guided tour during… 16 hours. One guy from Boston told us about how cool it was. We were probably 15 minutes late because of this complicated subway system which wouldn’t run regularly.

But the tour was cancelled as Jerry was sick :o( A reason probably to come back someday to NYC. We decided to make our own tour and visit the “important” things of the city: Time Square (Why is everyone talking about it. It’s nothing amazing about it, just huge, bight and noisy!), Rockefeller Centre, Union square and then a ride to Staten Island to see the Statue of Liberty a bit closer. She doesn’t look that huge compared to all those huge buildings.

Last but not least a quick walk to the Ground Zero which was basically still a big whole.

Sunday was a rainy day and we went to the museum. We wanted to see the Guggenheim. At least the building but the line was so long that we skipped that. We walked through Central Park, left Manu at the Metropolitan Museum of Art and Steffi continued to the International Centre of Photography. After that we met again at “Burger Joint”. This is a typical American diner but… it is a hidden one. Eli told us about. To get there… well I won’t tell you… well okay I will. It’s in the Meridien south from Central Park. So a pretty fancy hotel. No sign telling you beside a little neon sign at the end of a tiny corridor. And on lunch time a long line! Better come around 4pm or so there is more chance to grad a seat.

We walked dawn to Broadway to the book shop called “the Strand” which has 18 miles of Books. Great store but better come with a book or an author in mind otherwise it might be difficult to find something!

We made our way to the East Village. We popped into a Music shop in that area. It was like paradise for Steffi and I as there were thousands of Cds of “indie” bands, folk singers and whatever… We came after an hour or so out of the shop with around 8 cds I think…

To relax from that we went into a little cosy place and had a tasty Chardonnay and made our way back home.

Monday April 28th, last day in NYC, last things to buy. It was a pretty rainy day, we would chill in a back street of Broadway in some nice café and finally make our way back to Brooklyn, stop at Junior’s to get a cheesecake at eat it at home!! Very yummi and fun last night with Paul and his flatmate John.

 

About natha


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.