Existing Member?

Where are we now - The photo's tell the story An update on the where-abouts of Nat & Chris' epic RTW journey.

Whistler

CANADA | Sunday, 15 April 2007 | Views [596] | Comments [2]

We jumped on Greyhound Canada for our 2 hour ride to Whistler Village, the scenery along the route was amazing.  Picture a beautiful sunny day driving with the water on one side and all surrounding us was snow capped mountains.

For our two travellers Junior and Nat who have only seen snow on TV or from an aeroplane window this was our first real snow experience.  You couldn't have planned it better, we stumbled into the Telus Ski and Snowboarding Festival (the biggest of its kind in the world - music during the day, parties at night and people everywhere).  We explored the village the first afternoon and were able to hear a few songs from Steven Marley, son of music legend Bob.  After throwing a few snowballs at each other (all of Junior's missiles hit the target - Nat's ass) we walked the 4.4km trail into the village from our hostel and enjoyed the sights and stories of the wild men who first visited this area.  We were told not to walk this trail at night without a torch or glow stick as Whistler is Bear country.

The video is from our first morning in whistler, as I mentioned you couldn't have planned it better.  We awoke to slight rain and a little bit of snow falling, the video is taken from the verandah in front of our hostel (arguably the best view from any hostel in the world).  We didn't make it onto the mountains as ski passes are a bit hefty but both thoroughly enjoyed our time in Whistler.  We were able to catch the Australia v Sri Lanka cricket game from the Hilton's hotel bar, whilst the hockey finals were playing on the other screens (awesome).

Our final day was spent enjoying more of the festivities.  A 4 or 5 year old kid is pictured in a few photos as he took to the skate board half pipe (he had created quite a fan club for himself after getting up the nerve to have a go with his Dad).  The food is a bit better in Canada but we're both still finding it hard to find good food on the go.

It was sad to leave Whistler, but both agreed that it was better to leave wanting more than to be fed up with the place and want to get the hell out of there.

Tags: Adventures

 

Comments

1

told you whistler was great, i am pretty sure i paddled past your hostel when i was there, i love that place, it would be even better if you could find someone who wasnt australian to serve you when you were there

  nicholas Apr 25, 2007 11:27 PM

2

Canada truly is a beautiful country and one where we felt right at home despite the snow. Glas to hear you are having such a great time in the mountains.

  Margret Apr 26, 2007 8:31 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.