Existing Member?

Where are we now - The photo's tell the story An update on the where-abouts of Nat & Chris' epic RTW journey.

Portland (NBA)

USA | Thursday, 12 April 2007 | Views [1795] | Comments [4]

Well after the horrid Greyhound experience we decided to look into other forms of transportation (of which the US struggles with). Flying from San Fran to Portland was just out of the question, Amtrack rates were similar and there was no way we were doing the longest leg of the trip on a Hound bus so this left driving as the most feasible/comfortable option (so both of us thought...) So after about half an hour of trying to get out of San Fran we were on our way to Portland in a Hertz rent-a-car. We asked for the cheapest/smallest and were pretty much given much more (Ford Taurus). Nat was glad it was white as her reasoning was that "others would be able to see us more easily" obviouslty expressing a few nerves as Junior was behind the wheel, on the right hand side of the road where there seems to be no speed limit as you won't get pulled up if everyone around you is speeding in a group....

Nat didn't stop freaking out the whole way (an excruciatingly painful 11 hours). We stopped in a "Ghost town" at about the half way mark and were treated to the best garlic bread and home-made burgers from a Vietnamese restaurant of all places! After this pit stop we were on our way again with another 5 hours ahead of us.

Arrival in to Portland was hassle free as it was almost 3am so no traffic was on the roads. The hostel was a beautiful ol "Victorian" style building with free unlimited bread for breakkie from the local bakery, yummm!

The city of Portland is quite small so we were able to walk around it the next day no worries. The weather was crappy however it was good to see rain! Not many photo oppurtunities in Portland but it was great to see an American city with a much slower pace.

Well the night we had both been waiting for (Junior since he was a boy) had come so we filled our tum's with our specialty pasta and ventured to the Rose Garden for our first live NBA game (Portland vs Houston). The heavens decided to open up again on our 30 min walk to the stadium so we arrived looking like drowned rats but who cares right? We were in for a treat!

Our seats were about 6 rows back from courtside inline with the ring, so we had awesome views all night (check out Yao Ming's butt, it was huge!!).

Prior to the start of the game a group of cheerleaders came out to practice their stunts for the game. The chicks were all 4ft nothing, the guys were built like "brick shit houses". Their stunts were amazing (check out photos).

Other entertainers included hip-hop dancers, typical dancer girls (skanky) and of course a mascot. We had not seen anything like this! The court was full of about 100 entertainers, flashing lights, loud music and a lot of razzle dazzle!! We didn't know where to look (check out the you tube video once we load it).  Once again there was a military tribute before the game where a group of young men and women were sworn in before the live audience.  (The whole military thing is getting to be a bit much; Sea World, San Diego Zoo and any other event we have been to there has been either a silence or request for the military in the audience or military families to stand up while everyone else applauds - no offense to the military and the job they do, but give it a rest).

SA born Luke Shenscher was recently signed to Portland so we were following the homeborn talent despite the odds being heavily in Houstons favour.  The first half was pretty lack lustre with Houston taking a commanding lead early thanks to T-Mac (Tracy McGrady) and Yao Ming and led by 12 when Luke came on.  He was guarding Yao and did a pretty solid job and helped the T'blazers get back to only 5 down before he was benched due to foul trouble.  By half time they were down by 17 and fans were talking the same ol same ol, expecting another loss (Portland sit 3rd bottom in their conference, Houston are about 2nd or 3rd).

When the lead hit almost 20 points just before 3 quarter time big Luke was put back in and had an immediate impact with a block that led to a break-away bucket.  He continued to silence Yao in the 4th and Portland fought their way back into the game with some full court pressure.  Luke was then able to intereest the statistitions in another area, other than fouls, when he came up with a big rebound and put back.  Portland got on a roll and reduced the margin to 7.  All of a sudden with a steal and dunk that reduced the margin again the crowd came alive and the noise was almost deafening.  Unfortunately, big Luke fouled out with only a few minutes left, but I think he had earned the respect of big Yao and the crowd with some tough play.

Portland ended up going down by 4 but the last quarter was everything I've dreamed of from an NBA game.  Absolutely awesome experience.

We've now moved on via Amtrak to Vancouver and will update again soon. 

Tags: Sightseeing

 

Comments

1

What a great experience Would love to see a game too

  margie Apr 15, 2007 5:49 PM

2

Finally after a lifetime of wishing you could be there - sounds like the experience was almost as good as you thought it would be. Like Marg I too wish I could see a live game - maybe one day.

  Margret Apr 15, 2007 6:40 PM

3

After chatting to Natalie (who sounded rather stressed) while you were driving Christopher I am very pleased to hear that you travelled to Vancouver via Amtrak - we really enjoyed the American rail system - gave us time to update our journals and relax.

  Margret Apr 15, 2007 6:43 PM

4

seriously- razzle dazzle, i cant believe people actually use those words

anyway sounds like fun

  nicholas Apr 19, 2007 12:29 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.