Existing Member?

Where are we now - The photo's tell the story An update on the where-abouts of Nat & Chris' epic RTW journey.

Santa Monica

USA | Sunday, 25 March 2007 | Views [619] | Comments [1]

Finally the LA you read about and see on TV and movies ... it's Santa Monica.  A better hostel, beautiful beach and busty babes ... giggity giggity. 

Hostel International was exceptionally clean with 5 bunks to a dorm, people coming and going all the time (little hard to get a good nights sleep though as there are some loud people getting in at 3 or 4am).

We saw the famous Santa Monica pier which is just like a Luna park but on a jetty. We tried our first (and probably last) Churro (see pic) which is a long straight cinnamin donut type thing...absolutely scrumptious!

We stumbled accross an Irish pub for dinner where we were greeted by an AUSSIE! She was so happy to speak to some fellow Aussies and said she picked that we were from down under straight away...think she got in trouble as she wanted to talk to us for so long her manager came and grabbed her. We both tried some American beer...for those who have tried it before doesn't it taste flat? It's so easy to drink because of this therefore may cause some trouble down the track...

After a very rocky nights sleep June and Nat were up at the crack of dawn to explore this town some more. Like West Hollywood, shops etc. dont really open till around midday, we later realised that each day starts off the same old overcast and by midday the sun is shinning and people are out of bed (before this time its just the beggars wandering the streets).

Later that afternoon we hopped on the MTA bus and scooted to MALIBU. Now Malibu stretches for 27 miles so we weren't too sure where to get off (a guy was killed on this road the day before). We saw a jetty and jumped off the bus (once again we were the only whities on the bus) and headed for the beach. It was nice but not like Aussie beaches, full of sand flies and a weird smell. The Malibu lagoon was adjacent to the beach, this was full of huge birds and a certain eerie mist covered the lagoon.

We saw no Kelly Slater (poor Nat) but a few wannabees. We later headed towards the "celebrity ripe" village in Malibu. Unfortunatley we saw no one of the kind, but felt a bit famous ourselves as we walked through this quaint little shopping village.

Later that night we met with Em (one of Chris' friends from when he did camp 5 years ago). She was great and so kind, not letting us pay for the meal! She took us to Border's Grill which is mentioned in the Lonely Planet as "looking like it had been decorated by 6 year olds with an adult cuisine." The food was spectacular (Mexican) and we were very spoilt with service. This is also a celebrity hangout but once again we were in no luck.  Em tolod us that celebrities usually dress down to avoid being noticed or they wear hats (maybe that's why everyone keeps staring at Junior in his flower boardies and red singlet top as we walk around during the day).

After dinner we cruised the city streets, went and had beers at the Irish pub then headed for the Third St mall. Saw an amazing busker who apparently just stopped smoking crack, got out of jail 6 months ago and is on parole (well so he said, not sure if this was an act or real, after all we're in LA and everyone wants to be someone). We will try loading his act up on you tube, it was awesome!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

 

Comments

1

Hi Chris & Nat
its me, Rosie, Necie sent me the web page link and I am enjoying keeping up with your travels. What a great idea.
Have fun
Lots of Love

  Rosie Betteridge Mar 27, 2007 11:05 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.