Existing Member?

rainbows hungary- - >croatia -->bulgaria-->turkey-->syria ..

thessaloniki to budapest

GREECE | Friday, 13 July 2007 | Views [2511]

When I chose this sunflowerie bunner I didnt really know how representative of the trip it was. I have never before seen fields like this but for some reason it felt the most suitable one. Well, the ones who know me can probably guess how excited I got when i saw my first sunflower field in Romania, on our way to Hungary. And then after crossing the hungarian border we couldnt stop looking at the vast pieces of land fully covered by them I cant really tell what i miss the most when not on a train, the filthiness,the odour coming from the toilets, the sweat or the headache that i usually have for part of the journey. I guess its the feeling of traveling that comes with all of the above that i cant-that easily-get on a sterilize plane seat. After being on the train for too many hours(40??) we reached Budapest.Well,it wasnt as easy as it sounds though. We had to "fight"overa bulgarian ladyconductor(not half as nice as a ladybug but still buggin) who wanted us to pay extra for the luggage. She was so demanding that for a second i forgot i thought she didnt intend to buy new shoes with the 10euros she was requesting. When she started to bargain(5euros!5euros!)i couldnt help it ,i cracked a smile.A second after she left (of course swearing at us in bulgarian)i rememberred i ve done the same route before without paying for the luggage.well,this wouldnt matter anyways cause she couldnt understand a word of english other than "No money" and that s how we got rid of her. Then the train stopped in Bucurest(Romania)Almost everybody got off so i was wondering what happened. A guy told us we have to get off cause the train will leave but not to Hungary.He said we missed the stop where we had to get off and catch a different train to budapest and that we now have to overnight in bucurest and leave next day.he seemed informed about trains and everything but i guess he was a taxi driver.after suggesting a cheap hostel to us he offered to pick us up next morning."no money for hostel,will sleep on a park but thnx" i said and he left.we went str8 to the information office.i had a feeling that should be a train tonight and there was.so after a 3 hours stop in bucurest we got on a train to our final destination. traveling with a balkan flexipass to hungary didnt feel very safe. the balkan flexi is valid until romania and then u should buy another ticket from the border to budapest.before leaving thessa i wrote "thessaloniki-budapest" to have some butterflies on my stomach later on but only for few minutes.the nice hungarian lady looked at the ticket.she didnt have a clue of course about it ,smiled and handed back to me. i hope she didnt heard me making strange happy sounds after she left. so we made it!!and after a lotttt of sunflowers we reached budapest..

Tags: On the Road

About nasta


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Greece

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.