Existing Member?

Western vs Eastern foods

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 31 March 2012 | Views [144] | Scholarship Entry

When you read or hear a quote “You Are What You Eat”, the first thing comes into your mind might be some foods you ate that built your body like the way you have now. In fact, foods that you consume everyday do not only describe you physically, but also characteristically. Kind of foods you choose shows what kind of person you are. Furthermore, a culture of people in one country or community can be defined from their traditional foods. For instance, people in Western countries prefer foods which can be cooked in a simple way and in a short time. They also use common ingredients that can be easily found in a supermarket across the street. This habit shows that Westerners are easy going and straight forward people. They are also known as people who appreciate punctuality, as the result of the pace of life they going through. Then, they usually cook small portion of food, served for one or two people. It is related to their individualistic way of life. In this regard, they prefer living by themselves or with their spouse rather than in a large family. Unlike Westerners, people in Eastern countries cook their food in a large portion. It describes their culture to live together with big family instead of living alone. Moreover, they usually cook in more complicated way. The ingredients they use sometimes are very hard to find because it only exists in certain areas in the Eastern. It can be seen that Eastern people are more complicated than the westerners, even when they entering a discussion; they will start with many politeness before they reach the main topic. Then, the more complicated the food they cook, the longer time they need. As the result, Easterners considered as people that don’t have commitment to time. However, it cannot be generalized to all Easterners. At least by understanding culture all over the world, it helps you to behave appropriately to people from certain region.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About myjourneymyadventure


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.